, ,

The Triumph of Deborah - Review & Giveaway

Thursday, July 16, 2009 Leave a Comment

The Triumph of Deborah by Eva Etzioni-Halevy, is a fictional story stemming out of the Old Testament judge Deborah. It follows the lives of three women through tumultuous times of war, as well as their personal relationships.

After the Israelite army, under Barak the commander Deborah has appointed, is victorious, Barak takes two of the Canaanite king's daughters, and from there you can only assume that a love story is imminent! There are sensuous scenes within the novel, however they are written inoffensively and are refined.

I enjoyed reading this book that Eva sent me to review very much, and since recently our pastor preached on the book of Judges in our Sunday evening services, I was refreshed on the background story upon which the book is based.

The fictional characters and plot line taking place within a historical period was also a learning experience as I re-read the Scripture to substantiate the facts and separate the fiction. Imagining life within that time period is made vivid by the descriptions Etzioni-Halevy uses.

I would consider this along the lines of an epic story. Really, with part of the best selling book of all times as the foundation of the story, how could it not be? Etzioni-Halevy takes you away from the 21st century, drops you smack dab in the hills of Israel and has you visualizing war, peace and love through the eyes of three women with vastly different backgrounds.

I urge you no matter what the book or who the author that when reading any story that merges Biblical themes with fiction to take the time to open the Bible and read the Scriptures. Find that which God ordained as truth and then take the that which He blessed the author with talent to write, as entertainment.

Eva Etzioni-Halevy has added a historical note at the end of the novel explaining her research in developing the story.

If you have enjoyed books in the past based on Biblical characters entwined with fictional plots , I would recommend this book to you. Eva has also written two previous novels The Song of Hannah and The Garden of Ruth.

Please read **About Reviews at the bottom of the page.

Eva has offered to give one of my readers a copy of The Triumph of Deborah.

To enter this giveaway visit Eva's Website and tell me something you learned.
(Required) You can also read some excerpts of her novels there.

For Extra Entries (please leave a separate comment for each one you are eligible for)

1. Comment with another Old Testament woman you'd be interested in reading a fictional novel about besides Hannah or Ruth.
2. Follow my blog publicly.
3. Subscribe to my feed via reader or e-mail.
4. Add my button to your blog.
5. Follow me on twitter, leave your user name
6. Tweet this giveaway, I've made it easy you can simply press the retweet icon in the upper corner of this post! This can be done daily.
7. Blog about this giveaway linking back to my blog and to Eva's Website.

This contest will end on July 25th at 11:50 pm cst, and is open to US Residents ages 18+.

95 comments »

  • Sue said:  

    Eva and her husband live in Tel-Aviv. This looks great. Thanks for sharing~

    s.mickelson at gmail dot com

  • Sue said:  

    I'd love to know how Sarah felt when Abraham was asked to sacrifice Isaac. What an amazing woman!

    s.mickelson at gmail dot com

  • ChristyJan said:  

    I learned that Eva was born in Vienna, Austria, but was fortunate to escape as a small child with her parents in 1939 where they then spent the war years in Italy, partly in an Italian concentration camp, and after the Germans conquered the northern part of Italy, in hiding.

    hawkes(at)citlink.net

  • ChristyJan said:  

    I'd be interested in reading more about Esther.

    hawkes(at)citlink.net

  • ChristyJan said:  

    and a subscriber

    hawkes(at)citlink.net

  • Eva Etzioni-Halevy said:  

    Dear Tammy,

    Thank you so much for your well taken, incisive and supportive review of my novel THE TRIUMPH OF DEBORAH.

    I am delighted to be writing novels about the Old Testament of the Bible, which Christians and Jews share and if my novel can make people go back and read the Bible, I feel that I have fulfilled an important mission in life.

    It's also wonderful that there are so many comments, which shows that your blog is truly popular.

    Waiting to find out who the winner will be.

    warm regards and blessings,

    Eva

  • Anonymous said:  

    Eva wrote many books and articles in Hebrew and in English.

    bgcchs@yahoo.com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I'd like to read a fictional novel about Esther or Vashti.

    bgcchs@yahoo.com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I subscribe via email.

    bgcchs@yahoo.com

  • Rita M said:  

    I learned that the author studied Sociology at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem and later received her PhD at Tel-Aviv University.

  • Shannon Wallace said:  

    Hi there...thanks for the contest and info on this book!

    1. I follow your blog.

  • nightowl said:  

    The author lived most of her. life in Israel.

  • Shannon Wallace said:  

    2. I added your button to my blog.

  • nightowl said:  

    I would like to read one about Delilah.

  • Shannon Wallace said:  

    3. I already subscribe to your blog. :o)

  • nightowl said:  

    I follow you on twitter. (winsome6)

  • Shannon Wallace said:  

    4. I think it would be neat to read a story abour Sarah, and how she went through the agony of being barren for so long; and then her joy of being with child through God's amazing work. :o)

  • demmi said:  

    she has two sons and a daughter.and lives with her husband in Tel-Aviv.

  • mverno said:  

    born in Vienna, Austria mverno@roadrunner.com

  • mindy said:  

    that she lives in israel although born in austria minsthins at optonline dot net

  • wildflower00 said:  

    She was born in Vienna, Austria and was lucky to escape in 1939 her family spent the war in Italy but was captured and spent some time in a concentration camp
    my name is Eva like hers so I should get an extra entry :) J/k

  • Gwendolyn B. said:  

    I learned that Eva had the same realization that I had upon studying ancient cultures - that human nature hasn't changed in thousands of years.

    This is a wonderful blog - thank you for hosting this giveaway!

    geebee.reads AT gmail DOT com

  • Gwendolyn B. said:  

    I'm a Follower.

    geebee.reads AT gmail DOT com

  • Gwendolyn B. said:  

    I Tweeted - I'm ASeaOfBooks

    geebee.reads AT gmail DOT com

  • Gwendolyn B. said:  

    I subscribe in Google Reader.

    geebee.reads AT gmail DOT com

  • Gwendolyn B. said:  

    I follow you on Twitter (I'm ASeaOfBooks)

    geebee.reads AT gmail DOT com

  • Gwendolyn B. said:  

    I think Noah's wife has a story to tell...

    geebee.reads AT gmail DOT com

  • wendy wallach said:  

    She has three grown up children: two sons and a daughter. She lives with her husband in Tel-Aviv.

    this is what I learned from her website.

    madamerkf at aol dot com

  • Ms. Anita said:  

    Eva was born in Austria and studied in Jerusalem.

    roseinthemorning [at] gmail [dot] com

  • Ms. Anita said:  

    I'd love to read about Esther... how she dealt with being so beautiful and with having to be brave enough to come into the king's presence without an invitation.

    roseinthemorning [at] gmail [dot] com

  • Ms. Anita said:  

    I publicly follow your blog.

    roseinthemorning [at] gmail [dot] com

  • Ms. Anita said:  

    I'm subscribed via email.

    roseinthemorning [at] gmail [dot] com

  • Ms. Anita said:  

    I follow you on Twitter (HSBSuzanne).

    roseinthemorning [at] gmail [dot] com

  • Ms. Anita said:  

    I tweeted the giveaway for 7/16:

    http://twitter.com/HSBSuzanne/status/2681327568

    roseinthemorning [at] gmail [dot] com

  • Ms. Anita said:  

    I have your button on my blog.

    roseinthemorning [at] gmail [dot] com

  • Ms. Anita said:  

    I tweeted for 7/17:

    http://twitter.com/HSBSuzanne/status/2689010456

    roseinthemorning [at] gmail [dot] com

  • Nickolay said:  

    I learned she writes a lot of articles in Hebrew and in English. Thats pretty neat.

    jason(at)allworldautomotive(dot)com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I learned that she was born in Vienna, Austria, but was fortunate to escape as a small child with her parents in 1939.

    Tarah
    tarah716[at]ymail.com

  • Ms. Anita said:  

    I blogged about this (including a link to Eva's website):

    http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Suzanne/708826/

    roseinthemorning [at] gmail [dot] com

  • Deborah said:  

    Eva spent part of her childhood in an Italian concentration camp. asthenight at gmail dot com

  • Heather Brandt said:  

    Eva was born in Australia but escaped with her parents to Italy at the outbreak of WWII.

    www.russianblessings.wordpress.com

  • Ms. Anita said:  

    I tweeted for 7/18:

    http://twitter.com/HSBSuzanne/status/2706378082

    roseinthemorning [at] gmail [dot] com

  • Miranda Ward said:  

    She has three grown up children: two sons and a daughter. She lives with her husband in Tel-Aviv

  • annies home said:  

    has wrote many political sociology papers after escaping war as a child
    shopannies@Yahoo.com

  • annies home said:  

    I can never get enough about Ruth she was my grandmothers favorite and I so love listening to her
    shopannies@Yahoo.com

  • annies home said:  

    following
    shopannies@Yahoo.com

  • annies home said:  

    subscriber
    shopannies@Yahoo.com

  • annies home said:  

    following on twitter ID is shopannies
    shopannies@Yahoo.com

  • annies home said:  

    tweeted http://twitter.com/shopannies/status/2729355810

    shopannies@Yahoo.com

  • Ms. Anita said:  

    I tweeted for 7/19:

    http://twitter.com/HSBSuzanne/status/2731203785

    roseinthemorning [at] gmail [dot] com

  • Anonymous said:  

    She certainly has lived an interesting life! She was born in Vienna, Austria, but escaped as a small child with her parents in 1939.

    Thanks for the giveaway!

    luckymegs1981 AT yahoo DOT com

  • Ms. Anita said:  

    I tweeted for 7/20:

    http://twitter.com/HSBSuzanne/status/2741888516

    roseinthemorning [at] gmail [dot] com

  • Smooshy said:  

    the author spent some time in an italian concentration camp!

  • Ms. Anita said:  

    I tweeted for 7/21:

    http://twitter.com/HSBSuzanne/status/2768856490

    roseinthemorning [at] gmail [dot] com

  • Ms. Anita said:  

    I tweeted for 7/22:

    http://twitter.com/HSBSuzanne/status/2781225126


    roseinthemorning [at] gmail [dot] com

  • Ms. Anita said:  

    I tweeted for 7/23:

    http://twitter.com/HSBSuzanne/status/2802654327

    roseinthemorning [at] gmail [dot] com

  • Misusedinnocence said:  

    She was born in Austria but now lives in Tel-Aviv.

    misusedinnocence@aol.com

  • Misusedinnocence said:  

    I would be interested in reading more about Potiphar's Wife.

  • Anonymous said:  

    I learned that Eva was born in Vienna, Austria.
    erma.hurtt@sbcglobal.net

  • blogggggg said:  

    I learned that the author has written books in both English and Hebrew. That is pretty impressive!

    wordsmoveme at gmail dot com

  • Gabriel S-J. said:  

    She writes a lot of articles in Hebrew and in English.

  • Ms. Anita said:  

    I tweeted for 7/24:

    http://twitter.com/HSBSuzanne/status/2822436166

    roseinthemorning [at] gmail [dot] com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I learned that the author was born in Vienna, Austria during the Holocaust. Thanks for the giveaway!

  • Anonymous said:  

    I'd be interested in reading a book about Rachel.

  • Anonymous said:  

    I followed your blog (sunnyview99)!

  • Anonymous said:  

    I subscribed via email.

  • Anonymous said:  

    I followed you on twitter (sunnyview99).

  • Anonymous said:  

    I tweeted: http://twitter.com/sunnyview99/status/2826614020

  • Anonymous said:  

    I blogged: http://wut-givz.blogspot.com/2009/07/three-different-directions-triumph-of.html

  • Anonymous said:  

    She was born in Vienna, Austria and studied in Jerusalem.

    theyyyguy@yahoo.com

  • Jenny said:  

    I learned that Eva spent part of her childhood in a concentration camp in Italy.

  • Jenny said:  

    Putting this in a separate comment box, since I'm not sure if each entry requires a separate comment.

    I would be very interested in reading about Miriam, Moses' sister.

  • Allison said:  

    i love biblical fiction! i was happy to learn about the author and see that she has THREE books i would love to read!
    allison/dot/wheeler/at/att/dot/net

  • DEBIJOT said:  

    The author spent part of her childhood in an Italian concentration camp.

  • DEBIJOT said:  

    I would like to read more on Esther.

  • Deb Anderson said:  

    I enjoyed reading about the author herself. She's led an interesting if trying life!

  • Deb Anderson said:  

    I've always been fascinated with the story of Rebecca.

  • Ms. Anita said:  

    I tweeted for 7/25:

    http://twitter.com/HSBSuzanne/status/2837683248

    roseinthemorning [at] gmail [dot] com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I learned that the author spent WWII in Italy, partily in a concentration camp. garrettsambo@aol.com

  • Kathy P said:  

    she has three grown up children: two sons and a daughter. I live with my husband in Tel-Aviv and Following a lengthy academic career in various universities, she was appointed Professor of Sociology at Bar-Ilan University, where she is now Professor emeritus.

  • Kathy P said:  

    following your blog as klp1965

  • Kathy P said:  

    following on twitter klp1965

  • Kathy P said:  

    http://twitter.com/klp1965/status/2842476039

  • purplepassion126 said:  

    In her novel The Garden of Ruth, Eva did research for the novel that included consulting scholarly writings about the social setting, inspecting excavations in Israel, and visiting museums.

  • purplepassion126 said:  

    I would like to read a novel about the journey, sacrifice, and loss that Naomi experiences.

  • purplepassion126 said:  

    I publicly follow your blog

  • purplepassion126 said:  

    Subscribed to your blog via google reader

  • purplepassion126 said:  

    Following you on twitter as purplepassion12

  • Charlene Kuser said:  

    Eva lived most of her life in Israel

    CharlieGurl57@aol.com

  • Charlene Kuser said:  

    I am interested in reading a novel
    about Naomi

    CharlieGurl57@aol.com

  • Charlene Kuser said:  

    Following your blog

    CharlieGurl57@aol.com

  • Charlene Kuser said:  

    I am a subscriber

    CharlieGurl57@aol.com

  • Charlene Kuser said:  

    Following you on Twitter (Swtlilchick)

    CharlieGurl57@aol.com

  • Charlene Kuser said:  

    Tweet:Swtlilchick
    http://twitter.com/Swtlilchick/status/2848531443

    CharlieGurl57@aol.com

  • Leave your response!