, , ,

Book Review: Mrs. Meyer's Clean Home

Saturday, March 21, 2009 Leave a Comment

Mrs. Meyer's Clean Home is based on an easy and simple principle. Keeping things clean need not be a chore, you just need the right game plan, and it's all in her book. I recently had the opportunity to put the tips from the book into action, and I liked it quite well. First, though, you need to learn a little about Mrs. Meyer.

Thelma A. Meyer raised 9 (yes 9!!) children, in a small Iowa home. She was not a cleaning superhero, but she did have a clean and happy home. She did not want cleaning to be a laborious chore and after 54 years of cleaning house she has written a book to pass her knowledge on to you. Now, how exactly does this book work in the real world of soap scum and dust?

I did my best at trying to use Mrs. Meyer's tips through the rooms of my home, and well today my home looks pretty impressive. I didn't try everything she suggested, though I'm sure they are all equally handy and time saving.

I found the bathroom tips the best, and mine have never been so clean. With a game plan in place, I made quick work of cleaning and felt quite good about it (and myself!) when it was done.

I give this book a thumbs up, and since it's right about that time when we're all "supposed" to be spring cleaning, Hachette Book Group would like to help you out by giving 5 of my readers the chance to clean like the dickens, with a copy of Mrs. Meyer's Clean Home.

WIN IT!! Five random commenters can win a copy of Mrs. Meyer's Clean Home.

To enter tell me what your least favorite cleaning chore is?

The above step is required before you use any of the extra credit options.
Please leave an e-mail if it is not visible in your profile.


Extra Entries! Leave a separate comment for each one you do.

1. Blog about this giveaway, leaving a link to this post.

2. Follow me publicly. Click on follow this blog in the right sidebar. (If you already follow that counts)
3. Subscribe to my blog via rss feed. (If you already subscribe that counts)
4. Add my button to your blog, located at the top left sidebar (If you already have it, let me know with a link to your blog)
5. Follow me on twitter and tweet about this contest. Leave the link to your tweet in the comments.


Contest ends March 28, 2009 at 11:59 pm cst. Winners will be chosen at random. This giveaway is open to US & Canadian Residents ages 18+

133 comments »

  • One Creative Queen said:  

    Ahh man - I don't want to be first! :)

    I don't like cleaning anything - with my least favorite thing being toilets. YUCK!!

    This seems like a book I NEED!

    Thanks for the giveaway!
    Katherine

  • Anonymous said:  

    This looks like a great book! So my least favorite chore? Gosh, that's hard...I don't like any of them, lol. I guess I'll say cleaning out the fridge. But I always delay folding clothes because I don't like doing that either!

  • Anonymous said:  

    I tweeted for you - FencedinFamily.

  • Anonymous said:  

    I subscribe via Sage Reader.

  • Anonymous said:  

    Your button is on my sidebar! Thanks for running the contest. :)

  • Anonymous said:  

    Sounds inspiring. We could use a little inspiration here. Only, can I give it to my thirteen year old and ten year olds to read and glean instead?
    Okay, if I win I will read it, but can I at least delegate some of its implementation to my teen and tween?

  • Anonymous said:  

    Oh, I forgot to leave a comment describing my least favorite chore. For a regular chore that would probably be cleaning the bathrooms--although for a "big" chore, I'd say cleaning the garage.

  • Susan G. said:  

    I HATE cleaning my boys bathroom !

  • mverno said:  

    cleaning the refigerator mverno@roadrunner.com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I dont like vacuuming
    KawaiiNeko2008 at aol dot com

  • NesieBird said:  

    I don't like to clean the bathroom. Ever.

  • brokenteepee said:  

    Ugh! I hate doing laundry - does that count? If not, second comes cleaning the shower.

    I also follow your blog.
    Thanks for the contest and Happy Spring!

  • April E. said:  

    I'd love to win a copy ... I can use some cleaning inspiration!

    April E.

  • Heidi said:  

    Hands down, scrubbing the shower is my least favorite chore!

    Heidi
    mom2jc@yahoo.com

  • danosor said:  

    Cleaning the bathtub and toilet bowls,basically the bathroom.

  • Anonymous said:  

    OK... I have every chore. does that count?

    OK... then I hate cleaning floors, bathrooms, walls, kitchen, laundry room, bedrooms, etc..

    I think I need this book... ;-)

  • 5webs said:  

    Cleaning the bathtub. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I scrub, scrub, and scrub, and it still looks dull and gray and grimy.
    Alicia Webster
    5webs@comcast.net

  • bevsclark said:  

    I am the worst cleaner ever. I am a clutter type person and get so overwhelmed with my piles of stuff, that I end up not doing anything. Help!

  • Anonymous said:  

    Bathtubs and mopping are my least favorite. They make my back feel like I am 100 years old!

  • MOMFOREVERANDEVER said:  

    ok the least favorite chore cleaning the house- haha...seriously don't you all get into moods where you just say leave it till tomm? cleaning burnout is that such a thing..guess I M NO MRS. CLEAVER OR HAPPY ALICE...

    dusting is abd when it builds up and you open the windows and you see all that has accumulated where you have missed, organizing, laundry, etc...but toliets are the number one nasty for me.

  • Anonymous said:  

    I absolutely hate doing the litter box! I am the only family member with a sense of smell, yet they put me on litter duty!

    Oh, and the bathroom. I just can't seem to get into the "cleaning mode" when it comes to the bathroom!


    texas_heartland84[at]yahoo[dot]com

  • chromiumman said:  

    i hate cleaning the bathrooms

  • Sandra K321 said:  

    I hate dusting because there is just so much to do! It just comes back as soon as you're finsihed

  • l traurig said:  

    Mrs. Meyer could teach me a thing or two about making cleaning the house not so laborious. Would love to read her book so I can "speed" up cleaning the house!

  • Anonymous said:  

    My least favorite cleaning chore is definitely the cat box!

  • Princess Golden Hair said:  

    my leasts favorite household chore? cleaning the toilets. yuck

    teechbiz at gmail dot com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I love having a clean house, but cleaning the toilets with three boys in the house-YUCKY, YUCKY, Job!!

  • ky2here said:  

    Gotta be the toilet.

  • snowmermaid said:  

    Mopping floors is the job I hate.

  • SisterTipster said:  

    I disdain the kitchen...can I have a cook and dishwasher (two legged one please!)

    homeschoolblogger.com/SisterTipster/
    YOU are now in the sidebar with your buttom Tammy! ;-)

  • Anonymous said:  

    cleaning the burners on my stainless stove.

    barbaraeford@yahoo.com

  • Denise S. said:  

    I hate scrubbing the tub and shower!

  • Annie1 said:  

    I despise cleaning in general, but I think my least favourite thing to clean is the fridge. Uckk


    Thanks, I could really use this book!


    nancyrobster@gmail.com

  • Annie1 said:  

    I follow your blog!


    Thanks


    nancyrobster@gmail.com

  • Annie1 said:  

    I subscribe to your blog via Google Reader!


    Thanks


    nancyrobster@gmail.com

  • Annie1 said:  

    I follow you on Twitter and I Tweeted

    greeeneyedwhwomhttp://tinyurl.com/choz5q Win Mrs Meyers Clean Home Book!!

    greeeneyedwhwom (twitter name)

    Thanks


    nancyrobster@gmail.com

  • carolasar said:  

    I think my least favorite chore is mopping the kitchen floor- whatever I do it never looks really clean and so I do it over and over.

  • Deborah said:  

    My least favorite cleaning chore is moving the stove and cleaning underneath. asthenight at gmail dot com

  • divaqueenie said:  

    I DON'T like cleaning the toilets, yuck!

  • sweetsue said:  

    I hate doing the dishes-I have been washing dishes for 30 years, and it's starting to get old!
    smchester at gmail dot com

  • sweetsue said:  

    I am following!
    smchester at gmail dot com

  • sweetsue said:  

    I added your button to: http://pregnantkatiesmom.blogspot.com/

  • Jessica said:  

    I don't mind the actual "cleaning" (i.e. dusting, vacumming, etc.". It's picking up the stinking clutter every five seconds that wears me out. I need a game plan from Mrs. Meyers!! :)

  • Anonymous said:  

    I'm a MESS! Please help by letting me win this book. Thanks.

  • Sunnyvale said:  

    Least favorite is the refrigerator, such a big chore.

  • Anonymous said:  

    I hate cleaning the bathroom!

  • susan1215 said:  

    I hate cleaning the toliet

  • Anonymous said:  

    Bathrooms are my least favorite to clean. This would be a great prize to win.

  • Anonymous said:  

    I love doing laundry. I don't like doing dishes!

    onlycancan ta hotmail tod com

  • Cynthya said:  

    My least favorite chore is washing windows. Thanks for the giveaway!

  • Anonymous said:  

    My least favorite chore is changing the sheets on the bed.

    kr@roadrunner(dot)com

  • Anonymous said:  

    Here is my tweet!

    http://twitter.com/MomMostTraveled/status/1373867976

    onlycancan ta hotmail tod com

  • Pamela S said:  

    Well like many, my least favorite chore is cleaning the bathroom. I have a teenage son that never learned the art of aiming....Need I say more!!

  • Unknown said:  

    I hate cleaning my son's bathroom.

  • pms3237 said:  

    My least favorite chore is cleaning my 2 bathrooms! Ugh!!

  • Miss Spoken said:  

    Cleaning the shower door track
    gkstratos@yahoo.com

  • Miss Spoken said:  

    Following
    gkstratos@yahoo.com

  • Miss Spoken said:  

    Subscriber
    gkstratos@yahoo.com

  • Anonymous said:  

    My least favorite chore is cleaning the toilet, though washing floors would be a close second.

  • Anonymous said:  

    My husband would like me to win this! LOL

  • Penny said:  

    I hate picking up BEFORE I clean. Next, I hate doing bathrooms the most.

    www.notnewtoautism.blogspot.com

  • mmentor said:  

    i don't clean unless i have to, i can use some pep talk

  • bkh61959 said:  

    Scrubbing the shower is my most dreaded task, close second window washing, thanks for the great giveaway.

  • Simplymom said:  

    My least favorite is cleaning the fridge. janetcox123 At gmail dot com
    I would love to win a copy!

  • Bonnie in FL said:  

    My kids rooms where does all this stuff come from--do they not throw out anything--ugh

  • Nickolay said:  

    In the country, we have a lot of rust in our water, so my least favorite chore is constantly trying to keep the rust stains off of the sinks and tubs

    jason@allworldautomotive.com

  • ehhogan said:  

    Cleaning the bathroom!

    ehhogan@bellsouth.net

  • Tina12312 said:  

    I'd have to say my least favorite is cleaning the tub. Thank you!

  • Gabriel S-J. said:  

    cleaning the bath tub, i don't like it!

  • Anonymous said:  

    cleaning the bathroom....and vacuuming furniture

  • Karen said:  

    Ugh, cleaning the bathroom.

    ktgonyea at gmail.com

  • Learning Life's Lessons Through Literature said:  

    I'm with everyone else. I hate cleaning the bathroom!

    Heidi
    info@fortunatelyforyoubooks.com

  • Marianna said:  

    Ironing, vacuuming or mopping. Those chores get delegated to my husband! LOL

  • msrodeobrat said:  

    i hate cleaning toilets! however, i also dislike folding and putting laundry away

  • Smooshy said:  

    changing the litter boxes!

  • Anonymous said:  

    I hate dusting.

  • Anonymous said:  

    following.

  • Jenna said:  

    My Least Favorite Chore is taking out the trash!

  • Jayfr said:  

    Can I say that my least favorite cleaning chore is getting off the couch? If not, I'll pick toilets.

  • Angela said:  

    Cleaning toilets is pretty disgusting, but nobody else is going to do it.

  • Vicky said:  

    I hate to clean the bathrooms.

  • kimbly said:  

    I just hate to clean the mirrors - it drives me crazy

  • Anonymous said:  

    I hate cleaning the bathroom the most. Thanks for the contest. lrussel1@rochester.rr.com

  • Amber said:  

    I hate cleaning the bathroom! With one husband and 3 boys between 8 and 3 years of age, it's not a fun job at all.

  • TurQ1968 said:  

    I HATE cleaning the bathtub!!! Soap scum is a real pain to scrub out, plus mildew in the tiles. What a hassle.

  • Anonymous said:  

    Cleaning the mud out of the foyer, and the laundry room, it cakes on the floor. UGH, is it that hard to grasp the concept of taking your shoes off before entering the house?


    clarkmurdock@yahoo.com

  • Anonymous said:  

    Dusting and Vacuuming!

    theyyyguy@yahoo.com

  • Christina said:  

    Christina - xristya@rock.com - My least favorite cleaning chore is dusting because I'm allergic to dust!

  • Amy said:  

    Cleaning my littlest's potty chair.

  • Lori said:  

    Cleaning the sink. I love seeing the before and after. I also really like to organize the closet. Thanks!
    lkziegler[at]gmail[dot]com

  • Anonymous said:  

    my least favorite is cleaning the shower kay MI kaysweep@att.net

  • Anonymous said:  

    My least favorite has got to be the bathrooms, amd more specifically the shower/bathtub.

    jlilleysprint@earthlink.net

  • Anonymous said:  

    My least fave cleaning chore is cleaning the bathtub because it is so awkward and my back hurts from twisting and turning while scrubbing. No fun! Thanks for the giveaway, sounds like it's got some good easy cleaning tips.
    pjgirl74 at aol dot com

  • lezanac said:  

    laundry is my least favorite cleaning chore lezanac@yahoo.com

  • Sir Thrift-A-Lot said:  

    I hate cleaning the shower. So many places to clean, so little patience.

  • Aisling said:  

    I don't like cleaning the tub - it's hard to get to all the areas and I hate being closed in the bathroom with any kind of cleaning products.

  • jo1brat said:  

    I love cleaning my bedroom (it is last room to get clean and I love the satisfaction of knowing everything is clean as I lay down to go to bed and my room is clean)

  • Anonymous said:  

    My least favorite chore is waxing the kitchen floor. Ughhhhhhhhh

  • Anonymous said:  

    following you

  • Newscat said:  

    I hate cleaning. I subscribe to several messies-, organizing-type email lists to spur me on and the end result is I read more posts than I CLEAN. But the worse thing to clean has to be the toilet.

    newscat@aol.com

  • okaat said:  

    My least favorite cleaning chore is putting away the laundry. I don tmind doing it but putting away is a chore.

  • Anonymous said:  

    Cleaning the toile is my leasr favorite cleaning chore. garrettsambo@aol.com

  • angie said:  

    I hate, hate, hate cleaning the shower. We have hard water and glass shower doors. It is so hard to get them clean.

  • haomom said:  

    the toilet, hands down

  • Summermouse said:  

    I don't like to clean anything in the bathroom: the tub or shower, sink with stuck on toothpaste, toilet, peed on floor. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

  • Susan Christy said:  

    My least favorite chore is cleaning my kids bathroom - they spit toothpaste EVERYWHERE! :)

  • Helen said:  

    I hate cleaning the kitchen! It's always such a hassle, especially after cooking a big meal.

  • Charlene Kuser said:  

    My least favorite cleaning chore is
    the kitchen.I hate all that grease
    and dirty dish cleanup.I always
    make a mess when I cook,which does
    not help the situation.The counter
    top is a problem too,since I
    have a tile countertop.

    CharlieGurl57@aol.com

  • Charlene Kuser said:  

    Following your blog

    CharlieGurl57@aol.com

  • Charlene Kuser said:  

    I subscribe to RSS feed

    CharlieGurl57@aol.com

  • Charlene Kuser said:  

    Following you on Twitter and Tweet
    (Swtlilchick)

    http://twitter.com/Swtlilchick/status/1410223792

    CharlieGurl57@aol.com

  • Marinalane said:  

    I DETEST Cleaning the bathtub! I have a (crunched on one side) bad disc at the very bottom of my back, and it always messes my back up - my husband typically does this chore! Thank you for the giveaway! lanemarinab@aol.com

  • Marinalane said:  

    I Subscribe! lanemarinab@aol.com

  • Marinalane said:  

    I Follow you publicly! (Marinalane)lanemarinab@aol.com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I do keep up with cleaning by a quick clean everywhere I dwell awhile. Things don't pile up that way. I sure could use a cheer leader.

  • Anonymous said:  

    My least favorite cleaning chore is the toilet bowl because, as we all know, this is the most germ ridden, gross, and disgusting thing in the house to clean, or at least it is for me. Thank you so very much for the opportunity to participate in this giveaway!

  • Jinxy and Me said:  

    I hate cleaning bathrooms!

  • esther said:  

    That would be cleaning the bathroom!

  • ZESTYWONDERLAND said:  

    I hate to sweep & mop!
    Dust flys everywhere & make me sneeze.
    The mop always leaves mop lint on my floor.
    I asked santa for a floor steamer but I guess her forgot!

    zestywonderland@gmail.com

  • 07violet said:  

    anything that involves scrubbing

    alterna7 at hotmail dot com

  • Leave your response!