, , , ,

The Pirates have Hijacked the Gingerbread!

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 Leave a Comment

As I have mentioned in posts before we love gingerbread!  We especially like building gingerbread houses, and have enjoyed viewing oversized ones produced for hotels and other places.

If you want to see an amazing culinary creation check out this Gingerbread Pirate Ship at The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island. 


17-feet wide and 12-feet high, the edible details include a gingerbread cannon armed with chocolate cannonballs, a gingerbread pirate captain, and a treasure chest overflowing with candied bounty.

A team of resort pasty chefs and carpenters logged over 300 hours on the creation of the ship, which begins with a gingerbread foundation made from 1,200 pounds of flour, 900 pounds of sugar, 3,000 eggs, 435 egg whites, 300 pounds of shortening, 15 gallons of milk and 14 pounds of special holiday spices.


The S.S. Ginger Amelia is the latest incarnation in the annual display of gingerbread structures showcased by the resort. Past designs have included a traditional gingerbread house and a gingerbread lighthouse, in honor of an island landmark.

The ship remains on display through December 28, with complimentary tours held throughout the month.

Holiday rates at The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island are available from $199 per night. For a complete guide to the seasonal events and activities offered by the resort, visit www.ritzcarlton.com/ameliaisland.
 
I received no compensation for posting this - I just thought it was super neat - and because I ♥ Gingerbread!

6 comments »

  • Chari said:  

    that is so cute!!!

    We have an annual gingerbread party at our house.I just posted about it on my blog.

  • Anonymous said:  

    That is awesome!

  • Anonymous said:  

    Love your title. It drew me right in! Great story.

  • Renee said:  

    WOW! I never knew there were even such things as "gingerbread structures." That is pretty awesome! Can you believe I have never even made a gingerbread house? I feel like I'm missing out on something now!

  • Susan said:  

    At first I thought COOL! But now I'm curious: what do they do with it when they are done with it? It just seems silly to waste such a huge amount of food (over 3000 eggs, 1200 pounds of flour, and 15 gallons of milk could feed a lot of people!). Not having many coins to rub together myself...I don't begrudge people who do have money enjoying it, but wow, it's almost painful to think about.

  • Leave your response!