, , , ,

Marcal Small Steps Giveaway

Sunday, November 15, 2009 Leave a Comment

Today is American Recycling Day!  In one year, Marcal takes 200,000 tons of recyclable paper and makes products for your home from that.  Incredible!

I had seen Marcal on the store shelves in the past, but had never purchased them before.  Then I noticed one time going down the aisle, that it had new packaging and it was called Small Steps, and I thought "Sure, another company jumping on the green bandwagon."

But often my assumptions are wrong, as they were in this case.  After talking with someone at Marcal, I found out more information about Marcal's history and what they are all about as a company.

Marcal has been making its paper products from recycled paper, not trees, for more than 50 years!!  That's right, they've been in the green business since 1950.

Millions of trees are killed each year  to make the napkins, paper towels, tissues and toilet paper we use each day.  The destruction of those trees also destroy wildlife habitats.

Have you ever noticed how "white" your paper products are?  That may be a sign that chlorine bleach was added to them.  Yech.  Marcal doesn't use chlorine bleach, dye or fragrances when manufacturing their products and they are all hypoallergenic.  That's good news for those with sensitive skin.

Marcal believes that products should

  • give you performance you can count on
  • be good for your home and gentle on the environment
  • not cost a lot

Their products include paper towels, toilet paper, napkins and facial tissue.

My family was able to try these products out and this is what we thought of them.

Bath Tissue - If you're used to double or triply ply bath tissue, you'll likely notice a difference at first with Marcal Small Steps.  Honestly, I tend to "double" up when using t.p. anyway (shameful, I know).  I had my doubts as the Small Steps looked thin, but when doubling up, it was strong.  Marcal Small Steps bath tissue is safe for septic systems too.

Facial Tissue - With cold and flu season upon us, you need a tissue that can stand up.  The Small Steps facial tissues have gotten a good workout in our home!  And we can tell you that they handle the strongest out put of nose blowing without tearing.  Again, don't expect plush, triple ply tissues, they look and feel thinner than other brands, but they are strong.  Another fact to note is that since no dyes or fragrance are used, that is nice when you're holding these right up to your face when you don't want to be irritated.

Paper Towels - Cleaning up quick spills or light household cleaning chores is now environmentally friendly when you use these recycled paper paper towels.  I admit to not using a lot of paper towels and opt for washable cloths instead for most cleaning.  Every once in a while though, I find that I want to be able to throw away my cleaning cloth, because I know the mess will stain or smell the cloth up.  When using Small Steps paper towels on greasy messes in my kitchen and not so pleasant tasks in my bathroom, they performed as well as any other brand I've used, and I got to be eco-friendly while using and tossing them!

Napkins - The purpose of a napkin is to wipe away the food lingering on your face and hands.  Obviously unless you're using cloth napkins, they just go in the garbage when you're finished.  As far as napkins go, in my opinion, less is best.  I don't want dyes, fragrance or bleach interfering with my food.  Small Steps napkins actually stood up better than the current brand we've been using, and they are less expensive!  Guess what's on my shopping list?

If you're looking to make small steps in your own home when it comes to living responsibly, Marcal Small Steps products are something to look into.  You can visit their site to find a store in your area that sells them.

Marcal is giving away a Marcal Small Steps Gift Pack to one of my readers!

To enter for your chance to win visit Marcal Small Steps and leave a comment telling me one thing you learned from their site.

For extra entries (the above most be done first to be eligible for extra entries) you can:

1. Join the Small Steps Family.  It's free.  You'll receive their newsletter and get coupons and special offers.
2. Tweet!  Follow @MarcalSmallStep and then tweet "@MarcalSmallStep @threedifferent Green Gift Pack Giveaway at http://bit.ly/4Bhic8" (be sure to leave the link to your tweet)  You can do this daily!

3. Blog about this giveaway, including a link back to it.
4. Subscribe to my feed.

Open to US residents, ages 18+,  ends November 29, 2009 at 11:59 pm cst. Winner will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. Email must be in comment or available in profile.  By entering this giveaway you are stating that you have read my **About Reviews and my Privacy/Rules statements and agree to them.

I received complimentary Marcal Small Steps products for the purpose of this review from Marcal.

116 comments »

  • mensa63 said:  

    Learned that Marcel has saved 22, 137,021 trees since they started recycling paper and are aiming to save 1 million. Joined Small Steps Family and subscribed to your feed on google.

  • Kim said:  

    LEARNED: For over five decades, Marcal has been saving trees and reducing landfill by making its paper products from recycled paper.

  • Kim said:  

    tweet http://twitter.com/kgail11/status/5743528757

  • Anonymous said:  

    I learned that Marcal has been making its paper from recycled paper for over 50 years.

    bgcchs(at)yahoo(dot)com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I joined the Small Steps Family.

    bgcchs(at)yahoo(dot)com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I subscribe via email.

    bgcchs(at)yahoo(dot)com

  • Nancy said:  

    I learned that their company is one of the largest employers in N.J. and that they employ over 900 people!

    Nancy
    allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

  • Nancy said:  

    I joined the Small Steps Family to receive their newsletter.

    Nancy
    allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

  • Nancy said:  

    I subscribe to your RSS feed.

    Nancy
    allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I learned a good Thanksgiving tip: Freeze items in reheatable portions to save energy. seehorce(at)yahoo(dot)com

  • peg42 said:  

    I learned that for over 50 years, Marcal has been making its paper from recycled paper, not from trees.
    Thanks so much.

  • peg42 said:  

    I joined the Small Steps Family

  • Anonymous said:  

    I learned I can finally purchase some of their items at my local grocery store.

    denise_22315 at yahoo dot com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I subscribe.

    denise_22315 at yahoo dot com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I joined their family and signed up for special offers.

    denise_22315 at yahoo dot com

  • Michele said:  

    Thank you for the giveaway. I learned that they have been using recycled paper products for over 50 years.

  • JC said:  

    Marcal Paper Products LLC, the proud makers of new Small Steps by Marcal brand products has been saving trees and the wildlife it supports, since 1950!

  • JC said:  

    I joined the Small Steps Family.

    Thank you for joining the Small Steps Family!

  • JC said:  

    Follow @MarcalSmallStep@tcarolinep and tweet http://twitter.com/tcarolinep/status/5754853825

  • JC said:  

    http://tcarolinep.blogspot.com/2009/11/giveaway-three-different-directions_15.html blogged.

  • Meredith said:  

    Marcal® brand products has been saving trees and the wildlife it supports, since 1950.

  • cmcathiem02@gmail.com said:  

    Marcal has been making its paper from recycled paper for over 50 years. I think they are based in N.J.

  • April said:  

    I learned that Marcal has been making its paper from recycled paper for over 50 years.

    teenytig@sbcglobal.net

  • Literary Winner said:  

    They never make their paper from trees.
    weird chick online at gmail dot com

  • Sharon Harmon said:  

    Small Steps™ by Marcal® brand products has been saving trees and the wildlife it supports, since 1950.
    Have a great day!
    txgigggles@yahoo.com

  • mogrill said:  

    I learned that for 50 years they have used recycled paper!!! SO great. Thanks for the chance!
    mogrill@comcast.net

  • Kim said:  

    tweet http://twitter.com/kgail11/status/5772875553

  • Unknown said:  

    I learned that Marcal has been recycling paper for over 50 years and that they don't kill trees to make paper. Brilliant!

    Small Footprints
    reducefootprints (at) gmail (dot) com
    http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

  • Wehaf said:  

    The paper Marcal uses to make their products includes unwanted junk mail and waste from printers.

    urchiken at gmail dot com

  • Unknown said:  

    I joined the small steps family!

    Thanks!

    Small Footprints
    reducefootprints (at) gmail (dot) com
    http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

  • Unknown said:  

    Okay, I'm now a subscriber, through my google reader, to Three Different Directions. Yay!

    Small Footprints
    reducefootprints (at) gmail (dot) com
    http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

  • Joannie said:  

    I learned that Marcel has been eco-friendly since for over half a decade and they are still coming up with ways to preserve the environment!!
    hi_joan_elliott at hotmail dot com

  • Cassie M said:  

    I learned to use a bucket to collect the cold water that runs before your shower heats up, and then use this to water your plants!
    Cassie
    cjm92995@yahoo.com

  • Desi @ Wee Share said:  

    since 2000, they have saved 22,147,837 trees

    Desi
    weeshareblog@gmail.com
    http://weeshare.blogspot.com

  • Desi @ Wee Share said:  

    follow them on twitter as WeeShare http://twitter.com/WeeShare/status/5785425436

    Desi
    weeshareblog@gmail.com
    http://weeshare.blogspot.com

  • Desi @ Wee Share said:  

    signed up for Marcal newsletter

    Desi
    weeshareblog@gmail.com
    http://weeshare.blogspot.com

  • Melissa said:  

    I learned that they are based out of NJ

    xmeliss182x (at) yahoo (dot) com

  • Kim said:  

    tweet http://twitter.com/kgail11/status/5795508135

  • Stuff Parents Need said:  

    They do not use trees to make their products, but instead use recycled paper. That is really cool!

  • Deborah Wellenstein said:  

    For over 50 years, Marcal has been using recycled paper for its paper products, rather thatn trees. Thanks!

  • mscoffee77 said:  

    I learned that the company has been around since 1950!

    mscoffee77(AT)juno(DOT)com

  • Unknown said:  

    Wow I learned that they have been making recycled products for 50 years!

  • Kim said:  

    tweet http://twitter.com/kgail11/status/5834125992

  • mindy said:  

    freeze items in reheatable portions in order to save energy minsthins at optonline dot net

  • Deborah said:  

    I learned that Marcal has saved 22,162,964 trees since 2000. asthenight at gmail dot com

  • Kim said:  

    tweet http://twitter.com/kgail11/status/5866275202

  • Tamara B. said:  

    I learned that for over 50 years, Marcal has been making its paper from recycled paper, not from trees
    tamben7996(at)aol(dot)com

  • Kim said:  

    tweet http://twitter.com/kgail11/status/5887807975

  • Renee said:  

    You can print a coupon for $5 off Disney Earth on blu-ray on the website!

  • Kim said:  

    tweet http://twitter.com/kgail11/status/5918076051

  • Pat said:  

    I learned that the company is one of the largest employers in New Jersey, employing over 900 people.
    pkildow at gmail dot com

  • Karen said:  

    Huge Company :)

    ktgonyea at gmail.com

  • Kim said:  

    tweet http://twitter.com/kgail11/status/5952736400

  • Karen said:  

    Marcal is aiming to save 1 million trees

    pinkrose6785@hotmail.com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I learned that they employ over 900 people!

    hebert024 at aol dot com

  • Kim said:  

    tweet http://twitter.com/kgail11/status/5984810900

  • Kim said:  

    tweet http://twitter.com/kgail11/status/6006708871

  • LittleEagle said:  

    I learned that Marcal Paper Products LLC, the proud makers of new Small Steps™ by Marcal® brand products has been saving trees and the wildlife it supports, since 1950. sharonaquilino(at)hotmail(dot)com

  • Kim said:  

    tweet http://twitter.com/kgail11/status/6048587719

  • Desi @ Wee Share said:  

    http://twitter.com/WeeShare/status/6074780950

    Desi
    weeshareblog@gmail.com
    http://weeshare.blogspot.com

  • Kim said:  

    tweet http://twitter.com/kgail11/status/6080143971

  • Anonymous said:  

    I learned Marcal makes it products from recycled paper.

  • Kim said:  

    tweet http://twitter.com/kgail11/status/6118933243

  • Nancy said:  

    I learned that electronics consume 40% of the energy they use when they're turned off. That means turn off everything or plug in to a power strip to turn them off.

  • Nancy said:  

    I subscribe via RSS feed.

  • Nancy said:  

    I joined the Small Steps Family.

  • heaventrees said:  

    I learned that Marcal has been producing recycled paper products for well over 50 years.

  • Kim said:  

    tweet http://twitter.com/kgail11/status/6140376787

  • arla said:  

    I learned that their 100% premium recycled paper products are hypoallergenic, virtually lint free, and whitened without chlorine bleaching.
    lighthousee27(at)gmail.com

  • arla said:  

    following & tweeted.
    http://twitter.com/litehouse27/status/6152170758

  • alwayshopeful said:  

    i learned they were green ''before green was cool''! lol//
    they have been doing this over 5 decades...makes me proud to be a marcal user! ;)
    alwaysatryin at gmail.com

  • alwayshopeful said:  

    Tweet! Follow
    nannato5
    alwaysatryin at gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/nannato5/status/6154348945

  • alwayshopeful said:  

    Join the Small Steps Family.
    alwaysatryin at gmail.com

  • alwayshopeful said:  

    email subber
    alwaysatryin at gmail.com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I learned that their company is one of the largest employers in N.J.
    erma.hurtt@sbcglobal.net

  • chlorinebrain said:  

    I learned that Marcel has saved 22, 137,021 trees since they started recycling paper and are aiming to save 1 million.

  • Melodic Mom said:  

    I follow Marcel & tweeted: http://twitter.com/MelodicMom/statuses/6159008722

  • Melodic Mom said:  

    I learned that Marcel has saved 22,137,021 trees since they started recycling paper and are aiming to save 1 million!

  • crystal said:  

    I learned how Marcal makes Paper from Paper,not from Trees!!
    How cool is that?!?!

    cyclona66(at)aol(dot)com

  • crystal said:  

    I signed up for the Small Steps family;)

    cyclona66(at)aol(dot)com

  • Derk Thomas said:  

    One of the largest employers in New Jersey, employing over 900 people.

  • Life Is A SandCastle said:  

    I learned Marcel is Wild life supporter since 1950

    mccullar07@yahoo.com

  • Life Is A SandCastle said:  

    Subscribed by email, mccullar07@yahoo.com

  • Life Is A SandCastle said:  

    http://twitter.com/lifesandcastle/status/6162898269

  • Kim said:  

    tweet http://twitter.com/kgail11/status/6169080635

  • Jinxy and Me said:  

    I learned they have been recycling for 50 years!

  • Jinxy and Me said:  

    tweet http://twitter.com/ThriftyJinxy/status/6177764544

  • Charity S said:  

    Marcal is a pioneer in the recycling industry, producing recycled paper products for well over 50 years.


    charisscharity at yahoo dot com

  • Charity S said:  

    I joined the Small Steps Family.


    charisscharity at yahoo dot com

  • Charity S said:  

    Following and tweeted.

    http://twitter.com/ccboobooy/status/6178016667

    charisscharity at yahoo dot com

  • Charity S said:  

    subscriber.


    charisscharity at yahoo dot com

  • Candie L said:  

    I learned Recycle trash bins Marcal uses paper collected from curbs in residential neighborhoods in cities and towns across America; from the small blue baskets in office buildings, unwanted junk mail, and waste from printers; all in an effort to do something good… to produce something that people need. I always wondered what they did with the items from the blue buckets. Thank you

    candieluster(at)gmail(Dot)com

  • mrk928 said:  

    need to make a change and go green

  • CherylS22 said:  

    I learned that by changing just one package of regular paper products with a package of Small Steps™ by Marcal® brand I can help Marcal save one million trees.

  • CherylS22 said:  

    I subscribe via Google Reader

  • CherylS22 said:  

    I joined the Small Steps Family.

  • Kathy P said:  

    Use a programmable thermostat. A programmable thermostat allows you to predetermine temperatures for daytime and evening comfort as well as energy savings. It can save you as much as 20 percent if you opt to reduce temperatures by 5 degrees at night and 10 degrees during the day when most people are out of the house

  • Kathy P said:  

    i joined small steps klp1965@myfairpoint.net

  • Kathy P said:  

    http://twitter.com/klp1965/status/6184687250

  • barblong said:  

    I learned that Marcel makes its paper products from recycled paper.

    longbarb1@aol.com

  • Brian E. said:  

    Thanks for the giveaway...Marcal processes more than 200,000 tons of recyclable paper each year to produce over 12 million cases of paper product annually.

    senorpiero [at] yahoo [dot] com

  • Brian E. said:  

    Joined the Small Steps Family newsletter.

    senorpiero [at] yahoo [dot] com

  • Brian E. said:  

    Following @MarcalSmallStep: @brianpiero

    Tweeted: http://twitter.com/brianpiero/status/6189071320


    senorpiero [at] yahoo [dot] com

  • cman said:  

    Marcal has been making its paper from recycled paper for over 50 years..

  • Rachel said:  

    I learned that they have saved 22,245,321 trees since 2000!

    racheliznewman(at)gmail(dot)com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I learmed I can help save a million trees by switching from one regular package of paper products to a package of Marcal Small Step paper product. garrettsambo@aol.com

  • Fionen said:  

    I learned that magazines, school papers, flyers, and junk mail help make Marcal Small Steps products.

    fionen_ftw @ fionen dot com

  • Donna said:  

    Marcel has saved 22, 137,021 trees since they started recycling

  • Fionen said:  

    I joined the Small Steps Family.

    fionen_ftw @ fionen dot com

  • Donna said:  

    I Joined the Small Steps Family.
    donna444444@yahoo.com

  • Fionen said:  

    I follow Marcal Small Steps on Twitter and here is my Tweet.
    http://twitter.com/Fionen/status/6193780855

    fionen_ftw @ fionen dot com

  • Fionen said:  

    I subscribe to your feed via Google Reader.

    fionen_ftw @ fionen dot com

  • Leave your response!