, , ,

The Gold Coast & The Gate House Giveaway

Saturday, November 28, 2009 Leave a Comment

One of the great things about Hachette Book Group's involvement with blogs, is that I get a chance to introduce readers and myself to previously unread authors.

Nelson DeMille is one of those authors for me.

One of the latest HBG giveaways is the trade paperback of The Gate House.  If you are unfamiliar with that book (as I was) it is actually a sequel to DeMille's The Gold Coast, which I also had never read.

I had asked to also do a review on The Gold Coast and the kind people at HBG were willing to let me do that.

The Gold Coast refers to the very upper crust section of Long Island (you know the place of multi-million dollar estates, guest homes and gate houses).  So it's no surprise that an interesting storyline was penned by DeMille when he has a Mafia don purchasing the estate next to blue blooded John and Susan Sutter.
John, a tax attorney, through some IRS troubles of his own, trades in numbers to take on the duties of criminal lawyer for his neighbor.

According to statements made about the book from when it was first published, the novel is a mix of "The Godfather and The Great Gatsby" type tales.


Simply put this story combines action, emotion and humor and leaves you wishing it had not ended.  So it's a good thing DeMille followed up with The Gate House.

From School Library Journal

In this long-awaited but ponderous sequel to The Gold Coast (1990), it is ten years later, and John Sutter has returned for the funeral of a woman who isn't dead yet. He's also looking to restart his life and possibly hook up with his ex-wife, Susan, who'd had an affair with a local Mafia don she later killed. Confounding the problem is the don's son, who has taken over the family business and wants vengeance against both John and Susan. While there are interesting characters, and Sutter's first-person observations are clever, it takes forever for the action to get going. Even an exciting climax doesn't help. DeMille has developed a reputation for fast-paced action thrillers, and this is neither. His name will guarantee a level of success, and those patrons who enjoyed reading about the lives of the rich and decadent in The Gold Coast will enjoy this sequel.
 I'm looking forward to reading this sequel.

Due to some overlapping e-mails, I find myself with 1 copy of The Gold Coast as well as 3 copies of The Gate House to giveaway.

To enter the giveaway leave a comment letting me know which one you would like to receive or whether you would like either one.

For extra entries you can: (the above must be done first or you will not be eligible for extra entries)

1. Blog about this giveaway. Leave a separate comment with a link to your post.
2. Subscribe to my rss feed.
3. Follow me on Blogger.
4. Tweet this post on Twitter. Leave a comment with the link to your tweet.
5. Stumble, digg, or facebook this post. Leave a separate comment with your id or the link.

Open to US and Canadian residents, ages 18+, ends December 12, 2009 at 11:59 pm cst. Winner will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. Email must be in comment or available in profile. By entering this giveaway you are stating that you have read my **About Reviews and my Privacy/Rules statements and agree to them.

I received a complimentary ebook copy of The Gold Coast to review from Hachette Book Group for the purpose of this post.


CymLowell

76 comments »

  • Marjorie/cenya2 said:  

    I would love to win the Gold Coast,
    I am a loyal google follower.

    cenya2 at hotmail dot com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I think both look good. If I had to pick I guess I would pick the Gate House.

    denise_22315 at yahoo dot com

  • NinaSay said:  

    I would like to read the first book!
    nina@theonefantastical.com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I subscribe.

    denise_22315 at yahoo dot com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I'd love to read either one of them!

  • Nancy said:  

    Either one would be a great book to read!

    Nancy
    allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

  • Nancy said:  

    I follow via Google Friend.

    Nancy
    allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

  • Nancy said:  

    I am an e-mail subscriber.

    Nancy
    allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

  • Anonymous said:  

    Since I have never read any of this series, I would like to start with "The Gold Coast"

    farrell@crosslake.net

  • Benita said:  

    I follow via google friend connect.

    bgcchs(at)yahoo(dot)com

  • Benita said:  

    I subscribe via email.

    bgcchs(at)yahoo(dot)com

  • Benita said:  

    I have been hearing much about The Gate House, but I would like to read either or both of these book. Thanks for the possibility.

    bgcchs(at)yahoo(dot)com

  • clynsg said:  

    Blog follower

    clynsg at yahoo dot com

  • clynsg said:  

    I haven't read either of them, so it wouldn't matter which one I might win.

    clynsg at yahoo dot com

  • randio said:  

    I'd like the Cold Coast, I read it years ago but I'd have to read it again to reaquaint myself with it.

  • Sue said:  

    I haven't read the Gold Coast yet, so I'd love to start there!

    s.mickelson at gmail dot com

  • Alicia said:  

    I would like either one.

    Thanks for the giveaway >^..^<

    bloggyig at gmail dot com

  • 409cope said:  

    I would love to win the Gold Coast. cardshark42(at)hotmail(dot)com

  • 409cope said:  

    I follow through google friend. cardshark42(at)htomail(dot)com

  • 409cope said:  

    I am an RSS subscriber. cardshark42(at)hotmail(dot)com

  • mindy said:  

    i would be happy with either one but the gold coast would be my first choice thanks minsthins at optonline dot net

  • Stacie said:  

    I subscribe to you RSS feed

  • Stacie said:  

    I would be happy with either one of the books but the The Gold Coast would be my first choice.

    stacie@supermommytotherescue.com

  • a49erfangirl said:  

    I tweeted http://twitter.com/a49erfangirl/status/6215603450

    stacie@supermommytotherescue.com

  • Katie S. said:  

    I subscribe to your rss feeds via aol reader :)

    katieandbobby10@yahoo.com

  • Katie S. said:  

    They both sound great so I would pick either one :)

    katieandbobby10@yahoo.com

  • Katie S. said:  

    I follow you on blogger

    katieandbobby10@yahoo.com

  • Katie S. said:  

    TWEET

    http://twitter.com/ktfereva22/status/6223569665

    katieandbobby10@yahoo.com

  • Katie S. said:  

    I stumbled :)

    ID: ktfereva22

    katieandbobby10@yahoo.com

  • Renee said:  

    Either one sounds like a good read to me!

  • Nickolay said:  

    They are both good books, but I would pick "The Gate House"

    jason(at)allworldautomotive(dot)com

  • Heidi V said:  

    I would like to win the The Gold Coast.

    Thanks
    heidivargas [at] live dot com

  • Jackie B. said:  

    I am a Blogger follower.

  • Jackie B. said:  

    I am an email subscriber.

  • Jackie B. said:  

    I have not read either of these so I would take either if I won.

  • nightowl said:  

    I follow you on Blogger.

  • nightowl said:  

    I subscribe to your rss feed.

  • nightowl said:  

    Either book would be fine. They both look interesting.

  • Wanda said:  

    DeMille is one of my favorites, too. Just finished The Lion's Game (it was fantastic) - I understand The Lion is due out mid-2010 - wonder if it's the same character? Anyway, I haven't read The Gold Coast and I would like that one as I already have The Gate House on order.

    wandapanda at live dot com

  • Wanda said:  

    RSS subscription thru Google Reader.
    wandapanda at live dot com

  • Wanda said:  

    Public follower on Blogger.
    Wanda
    wandapanda at live dot com

  • Wanda said:  

    TWEET!

    http://twitter.com/TantaDesChiens/status/6419630349

    wandapanda at live dot com

  • Wanda said:  

    This post has just been Stumbled by WandaLaPanda.

    wandapanda at live dot com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I would like to win The Gold Coast. I read The Gate House a couple of months ago.

    rhoneygtn at yahoo dot com

  • Anita Yancey said:  

    I would love to win The Gold Coast. I already have a copy of the other book. Please enter me. Thanks!

    ayancey(at)dishmail(dot)net

  • Tammy Pereira said:  

    I would like to win the Gate House please, since I have not read it and you have a few extra lying around. Thanj you and Happy Holidays!

    LayDeeBugLove@aol.com

  • Anonymous said:  

    Either one would be magnificent!

    theyyyguy@yahoo.com

  • Linda Kish said:  

    either book would be fine for me. thanks for the chance

    lkish77123 at gmail dot com

  • Terra Heck said:  

    I'd like to read either one. Thanks.
    partymix25(at)hotmail(dot)com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I would enjoy either one!
    shawnac68@hotmail.com

  • Candie L said:  

    I would like the Gold Coast. I am supposed to have a copy of the Gate House coming (another contest win). Thank you

    candieluster(at)gmail(dot)com

  • Candie L said:  

    I am following your blog. Thank you

    candieluster(at)gmail(dot)com

  • AEKZ2 said:  

    I'd like The Gold Coast. The Gate House was so good.

    annettekz2@yahoo.com

  • JAEMPRESS said:  

    I would love to win The Gate House
    jaempress at gmail dot com

  • Anonymous said:  

    Both would be great, but I would like to start with The Gate House
    DianeBaum
    esldiane@gmail.com

  • Curling up by the Fire said:  

    I've already read The Gold Coast and have been waiting a long time for a sequel. I would love to win a copy of The Gate House. Thanks for the opportunity.

  • Karen said:  

    I'd like The Gate House.

    ktgonyea at gmail.com

  • Unknown said:  

    I would prefer the Gold Coast if I win. Thanks
    jesskaufman at hotmail dot com

  • Unknown said:  

    RSS feed subscriber
    jesskaufman at hotmail dot com

  • Unknown said:  

    I follow your blog.
    jesskaufman at hotmail dot com

  • Unknown said:  

    I stumbled your post my username is Macmomof3
    jesskaufman at hotmail dot com

  • Nancy S. said:  

    I would be happy with either book as I haven't read them.
    ncschools at yahoo dot com

  • Nancy S. said:  

    I follow your blog.
    ncschools at yahoo dot com

  • Nancy S. said:  

    I subscribe to your feed.
    ncschools at yahoo dot com

  • Nancy S. said:  

    I tweeted.
    http://twitter.com/ncschools/status/6620719729
    ncschools at yahoo dot com

  • Betty C said:  

    I haven't read The Gold Coast yet so I would like to win that one.

  • Betty C said:  

    I subscribe in Google reader.

  • ZESTYWONDERLAND said:  

    I am a book worm & would like either one!

    zestywonderland@gmail.com

  • ZESTYWONDERLAND said:  

    I folloqw on google blogger!
    zestywonderland@gmail.com

  • ZESTYWONDERLAND said:  

    Follow on Twitter & Tweeted!
    Username: ZESTYWONDERLAND

    ZESTYWONDERLAND@GMAIL.COM

    http://twitter.com/ZESTYWONDERLAND/status/6621007863

  • cman said:  

    I would love either one :)

  • liliesrnice said:  

    I'd choose the Gold Coast. Thanks!

  • Anonymous said:  

    I would like to receive Gold Coast. garrettsambo@aol.com

  • Leave your response!