Insightful Book on College Admission
Sunday, September 20, 2009
Leave a Comment
If you have no idea how colleges choose students for admission A is for Admission is an eye opener. While the book exclusively talks about Ivy League and highly selective colleges, so much can be taken out of it regardless of the higher institution you or your children have their sights on. Certainly not "light" reading, but hugely insightful.
It is written by Michele A. Hernandez, EdD, a former Assistant Director of Admissions at Dartmouth College.
Who knew that much of what the Ivies use the student has no control over(ranking systems, weighted grades, class size etc.). With the information in this book though, a student who has the ambition to attend an Ivy League or highly selective college, can be better prepared with their application and the information they do have control over.
We seriously had some hopes of Amber attending a prestigious school, her grades are certainly good enough. This book firmly put us in our place. I have learned through A is for Admission and knowing my daughter's personality that not only is she not suited for one of these institutions she also wouldn't make the short list at most of them either.
Throughout the book, Hernandez shares openly and honestly about the goings on behind the closed doors of the admissions office from an insider perspective. She does not gloss over the faults of the system, and points out the things worthy of praise.
The one disappointment I had, especially since this book has been revised and reprinted since its first edition in 1997, is that she does not touch on how homeschooled students fit in the picture at all. Knowing that many highly selective colleges recruit and find them desirable students and that this choice of education is growing very fast, I felt she could have at the least devoted a short chapter to that group of students and parents.
To enter leave a comment letting me know which Ivy League or highly selective college you would like to be associated with.
For extra entries (the above must be completed first) you can:
Please leave each additional entry you qualify for in a separate comment.
It is written by Michele A. Hernandez, EdD, a former Assistant Director of Admissions at Dartmouth College.
Who knew that much of what the Ivies use the student has no control over(ranking systems, weighted grades, class size etc.). With the information in this book though, a student who has the ambition to attend an Ivy League or highly selective college, can be better prepared with their application and the information they do have control over.
We seriously had some hopes of Amber attending a prestigious school, her grades are certainly good enough. This book firmly put us in our place. I have learned through A is for Admission and knowing my daughter's personality that not only is she not suited for one of these institutions she also wouldn't make the short list at most of them either.
Throughout the book, Hernandez shares openly and honestly about the goings on behind the closed doors of the admissions office from an insider perspective. She does not gloss over the faults of the system, and points out the things worthy of praise.
The one disappointment I had, especially since this book has been revised and reprinted since its first edition in 1997, is that she does not touch on how homeschooled students fit in the picture at all. Knowing that many highly selective colleges recruit and find them desirable students and that this choice of education is growing very fast, I felt she could have at the least devoted a short chapter to that group of students and parents.
The folks at Hachette Book Group is offering 5 copies of A is for Admission to my readers.
To enter leave a comment letting me know which Ivy League or highly selective college you would like to be associated with.
For extra entries (the above must be completed first) you can:
Please leave each additional entry you qualify for in a separate comment.
1. Subscribe to my feed via reader or e-mail.
2. Follow me on Twitter and Tweet this giveaway (this can be done daily).
3. Blog about this giveaway linking back to me.
4. Add my button to your blog.
This giveaway will end on October 3, 2009 at 11:59 pm cst and is open to U.S. & Canadian Residents ages 18+. The winner will be chosen by random.org and will be e-mailed. The winner will have 48 hours to respond to the e-mail or an alternate winner will be chosen. By entering this giveaway you are stating that you have read my **About Reviews statement at the bottom of this page and my Privacy/Rules declaration and agree to them.




























Harvard of course!
smchester at gmail dot com
I would like for my niece to be associated with ANY of them, but I'll pick Yale :)
email subscriber
If I had to pick one of them I would have to pick Harvard. A second choice would be Princeton or Yale.
dunmees@aol.com
I'd pick Brown
andie.v107(at)yahoo(dot)com
I would pick Yale
Luvdaylilies at bellsouth dot net
I think I would love to go to Harvard
cookster77@aol.com
My son wants to go to Harvard.
Harvard!
theyyyguy@yahoo.com
Columbia would be the place.
arobimom@gmail.com
Dartmouth. Thanks for the giveaway!
Harvard or Yale
Yale or USC would be my choices.
My daughter is an honor roll Junior and I would love to get her enrolled at Harvard like her favorite Aunt but any would be great.
titletowntreasures(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
My niece really would love to go to Yale. Thanks for the chance to win!
Probably Yale :)
Thanks for the chance!
sadiem1251@gmail.com
I subscribe :D
sadiem1251@gmail.com
Princeton garrettsambo@aol.com
My daughter is looking now and USC is a favored choice.