, , ,

My Dog Bites The English Teacher

Friday, August 14, 2009 Leave a Comment

Practical Grammar Made Quick and Easy


Grammar is likely Amber's least favorite school subject. Nearly every type of book or curriculum we've seen or used has been very dry and quite honestly because of that Amber has not retained much of what was to be taught. Because of this I am always looking for different books and/or ways to teach grammar.

About a month ago I was sent a copy of My Dog Bites the English Teacher by Marian Anders to review. Marian has been teaching English lit, grammar and composition to college freshmen and sophomores for twenty years.

I had never heard of this book before and boy am I glad I was alerted to it.

Inside the covers of this book you will find a hierarchy of grammar. That is one of the things I love about this book. Marian Anders has organized the chapters in such a way that the essential points of grammar are introduced first.

After each concept is taught, practice questions follow for comprehension and reinforcement. Included in the back are the correct answers (always helpful !)

Now onto what Amber thought of it!

Barring one other book we've used, she says this has been her favorite (she uses the word lightly though lol!) grammar book. She says the lessons are taught concisely and are easily understood. She also said that its not as boring as most of the books we've used.

So far I think the book is very good, and I'm happy with it. I've noticed a marked improvement in Amber's grammar since we've begun using it.

Note that this is not a full grammar curriculum or text. I think it is a great reinforcement or "brush up" book especially for those heading into those college tests. Or it can be used as a supplement for a Language Arts program.

My Dog Bites the English Teacher is available at Amazon.com for $14.95.

1 comments »

  • Hit 40 said:  

    The book looks great! Maybe, the schools will pick it up for our kids.

  • Leave your response!