,

One Fifth Avenue

Monday, November 3, 2008 Leave a Comment


One Fifth Avenue - Candace Bushnell
Published by Hyperion Books
433 pages

Reading is one of the great pleasures in my life. I read a variety of material, ranging from non-fiction to fiction, and the fiction covers all types. But believe it or not, I have never read (or watched for that mattered), anything written by Candace Bushnell. Apparently I've been living under a rock. Thanks to Parent Reviewers and Hyperion Books, I was given the chance to indulge in some escapism with the new novel by Bushnell "One Fifth Avenue". So even though I live under a rock, I got to read all about those who live in one of Manhattan's prestigious buildings. The chic,the terrible, the very rich and the wannabes.
What did I think of it? I liked it.

Although it is racier than most of the books I read, it was actually a bit like reading the internet tabloids about celebrities! It allowed me to imagine what frivolous amusements the very rich can obsess about, and then when I was done I could go to sleep being thankful that my life really isn't like that lol.


Ideally a novel should transport you to an alternate place, one that through the words of the author you feel like the characters are your friends or enemies, and if you can believe that you are a part of that world for 400 pages then it is well written. Bushnell does a wonderful job of it. There are characters I wish would be my neighbors, and then there were some I wanted to punt!

If you read other Candace Bushnell books, or have watched any of the shows based on her books, and enjoy them, I'm pretty sure you'll like this one as well.

If you are a newbie to this author like I was; pick up a copy and make your own decision on whether you'll be waiting eagerly for the next published novel from her.

1 comments »

  • Anonymous said:  

    This sounds really interesting. I like you see hollywood and thank God my life is not theirs. They have all the pleasures of life and still not the one who holds true peace-Jesus! Thanks for sharing and joining me on my Tuesday Review.

    Angela

  • Leave your response!