, , , , , , ,

Dairy Makes Sense ♦ Midwest Dairy Council Giveaway

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 Leave a Comment


I'm sure the people who check us out and help bag our groceries at the store think we have a half dozen kids in our family.  You would think so by seeing how much milk and dairy products are in our cart each week.  The three of us consume a lot of dairy.  3 gallons of milk per week, 14 cups of yogurt, a brick of cheese, and some shredded, and don't even get me started on the ice cream!


Did you know that nutrient-rich foods, like dairy deliver more bang for your buck than other options at the grocery store?  For example, an 8-ounce glass of milk delivers 9 essential nutrients, like calcium and protein, at about 25¢ per serving.  One tip is to avoid the expensive snack aisles and focus on easy nutrient-rich snacks that pay you back, like yogurt and string cheese.

Dairy Makes Sense sponsored by Midwest Dairy Association has wonderful recipes and tips, that will help save you money, and get those all important dairy servings into your family's bodies.
Plain, low-fat yogurt makes a great, calcium-rich base for holiday dips!  Buy yogurt by the quart and save, then flavor with dry ranch seasoning or soup mixes and serve with veggies.  Check out this Cashew Chicken Dip, from Dairy Farm Mom Shannon Squibb.  Only 73¢ per serving!

If you are planning a holiday buffet, cheese makes the appetizer tray.  A one-ounce cube contains 8 grams of protein!  (I can attest to the cheese being popular, we have actually brought a cheese tray to two gatherings this holiday season, and both times, it was the first tray that was empty!)

I am all over this recipe for a Pumpkin Cheesecake Shake.  Those are the three most delicious words on the planet!

For all my fellow homeschooling readers, check out the Educator Toolkit section on Dairy Makes Sense.  There is an incredible amount of valuable information to use in your schooling for the new year.

And don't forget your Nutrition Stimulus Package.  Despite today's rocky economy, you simply can't afford to compromise on nutrition.  For your health and the health of your family, ensure food purchase decisions are based on nutritional and economic value instead of just price.  Empty calories aren't a good investment in your health.
  • U.S. Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend at least three servings of dairy each day.
  • Dairy products provide four of the seven nutrients that Americans miss the most (calcium, potassium, magnesium and vitamin A).
  • Milk delivers nine essential nutrients while sodas only contain empty calories.
The Midwest Dairy Association would like to offer three of my readers a gift bundle to get your Nutrition Stimulus Package off to a great start!



Included is a $25 gift card to Hy-Vee, apron, coupons and coupon holder, cheese knife, measuring spoons, grocery pad, magnets & recipe booklet.  This giveaway is open to US Residents ages 18+ living in the states of: Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska and South Dakota.

To enter visit Dairy Makes Sense and tell me one of the recipes (besides the ones mentioned in this post) you'd like to make to help stretch your dollar and provide great nutrition for your family!

For extra entries you can (the above must be done first to be eligible for extra entries):
  • Leave a relevant comment on any non-giveaway post and tell me which post you left it on (it must be a new comment, previous comments don't count) *2 entries*
  • Follow my blog publicly
  • Subscribe to my feed in a reader or by email
  • Follow me on twitter and tweet this giveaway (this can be done daily - please leave a link to your tweet in the comments) You can tweet: RT Win a $25 Hy-Vee GC & Midwest Dairy Council Goodies 3 winners @threedifferent http://bit.ly/6JkpVK #giveaway"
  • Add my button to your blog
  • Blog about this giveaway and link back to my blog

Open to US Residents ages 18+ residing in the states of Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska and South Dakota, ends January 5, 2010 at 11:59 pm cst. Winner will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. Email must be in comment or available in profile. By entering this giveaway you are stating that you have read my **About Reviews and my Privacy/Rules statements and agree to them.

Thank you to the Midwest Dairy Association who provided myself and the three winners the prize package blogged about at no cost to myself.

39 comments »

  • DarcyO said:  

    The Fiesta Rice Skillet Dinner sounds really yummy.

    dlodden at frontiernet dot net

  • DarcyO said:  

    I'm a follower.

    dlodden at frontiernet dot net

  • rondadoug said:  

    Creamy Wild Rice & Mushroom soup

    rdgarnett at hotmail dot com

  • rondadoug said:  

    I am an email subscriber
    rdgarnett at hotmail dot com

  • nightowl said:  

    I like the Skillet Mac 7 Cheese.

  • nightowl said:  

    I follow your blog publicly.

  • nightowl said:  

    I subscribe by email to your blog.

  • Katie S. said:  

    I would really love to make the Creamy Wild Rice & Mushroom Soup :) It sounds sooo yummy!

    katieandbobby10@yahoo.com

  • Katie S. said:  

    I follow publicly

    katieandbobby10@yahoo.com

  • Katie S. said:  

    I subscribe!

    katieandbobby10@yahoo.com

  • Katie S. said:  

    I follow you on twitter as ktfereva22

    tweet

    http://twitter.com/ktfereva22/status/6948238373

    katieandbobby10@yahoo.com

  • Katie S. said:  

    I blogged about your giveaway :)

    http://giveawaysandgiveawaywins.blogspot.com/2009/12/three-different-directions.html#comments

    katieandbobby10@yahoo.com

  • Liz Mays said:  

    The hot pizza dip sounds delicious!
    doot65[at]comcast{dot}net

  • Liz Mays said:  

    Email subscriber!
    doot65[at]comcast{dot}net

  • mverno said:  

    i like the sounds of Cheeseburger Macaroni Casserole
    mverno@roadrunner.com

  • Amber said:  

    I would love to try the Fiesta Rice Skillet Dinner!
    Thank you for the giveaway :)
    hurdler4eva(at)gmail(dot)com

  • Jennifer I. said:  

    Cheeseburger Macaroni Casserole looks great for my picky eater.

  • Anonymous said:  

    HORTON111@AOL.COM ... I LIKE THE CREAMY WILD RICE AND MUSHROOM SOUPS...SOUPS ARE GOOD IN THE WINTER

  • A said:  

    Tweeted

    http://twitter.com/genny315/status/7021095484

  • Marc Cerny said:  

    Skillet Mac 7 Cheese

  • Misusedinnocence said:  

    The hot pizza dip sounds delicious!

    misusedinnocence@aol.com

  • Misusedinnocence said:  

    I follow publicly. :)
    misusedinnocence@aol.com

  • Anonymous said:  

    The Fiesta rice skillet dinner sounds like a delicious way to use leftover turkey!
    gkroese@neb.rr.com

  • kdkdkd said:  

    the Fiesta Rice Skillet Dinner is perfect for this family, must make it!

  • kdkdkd said:  

    following on twitter and tweeted http://twitter.com/kdkdkd/status/7065256448

  • Katie S. said:  

    daily tweet

    http://twitter.com/ktfereva22/status/7092528297

    katieandbobby10@yahoo.com

  • jappleseed said:  

    Fruity Splash Smoothie but what i really want to try is the pumpkin milkshake you already talked about
    thanks

  • Anonymous said:  

    Baked Zucchini Ziti - This recipe sounds yummy! I never really thought about adding zucchini or squash to this recipe and omiting the meat. People always think you need meat to make this, but it sounds so delicious without it and healthy. I am going to go back to that sight and print off a few new recipes to try. Thank you. Awesome giveaway.

    heidibokor @ yahoo . com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I left a comment on Pearl Girls Blog Tour. #1

    heidibokor @ yahoo . com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I left a comment on Pearl Girls Blog Tour #2. Thanks.

    heidibokor @ yahoo . com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I follow your blog on Connect. Thanks.

    heidibokor @ yahoo . com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I am subscribed to your feed by email. Thanks again for the giveaway.

    heidibokor @ yahoo . com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I'd like to try the SLOW COOKER VEGGIE LASAGNA.

  • BrendaLea, the Prpldy said:  

    I want to make the Egg and Mozzarella Breakfast Pizza... sound yummy.

    prpldy (at) comcast dot net

  • BrendaLea, the Prpldy said:  

    I eagerly follow your blog publicly via Google Friend Connect.

    prpldy@comcast dot net

  • Leave your response!