, , ,

get Habitwise: Make Healthy a Habit Giveaway

Sunday, October 4, 2009 Leave a Comment


New Year's Resolutions.  Those pesky things we tell ourselves we're going to do.  We commence on them with full vigor for a few days, maybe even a couple of weeks and then...splat, we fall off the wagon.

The problem for a lot of us is, if we don't have something visually or tactile to remind us to do something, it just never gets done.  Habits are something we do without even realizing it, but we didn't just wake up knowing how to do it, we practiced it or learned it even subconsciously, but still we started somewhere.

Habitwise is a company that was originally founded upon a weight loss tool called "A-Wrist-A-Trac" which was discovered by a team of clinicians at the University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) in Omaha, Nebraska.  They have since branched out from just providing products for weight loss to products for water intake and soon to include fitness and comfort.

A simple concept really.  A set of bracelets for ladies and kids or poker type chips for the guys, enabling you to track how many calories, what types of food, or how much water you are drinking each day.

I was sent the "getWet" for Women, to try and review.  This was a perfect set up for me, as I am horrible at getting my daily water intake.  Honestly, there are days that I get no pure water intake at all.

The kit comes with 16 bracelets and a water intake plan.  The USDA recommends an "Adequate Intake" of 11.5 eight oz. servings.  That can be accomplished through water you drink and water you consume through water rich foods like fruits and vegetables.  The Habitwise plan has a couple of options to guide you on your way, either to load up 12 bracelets on one wrist to get your USDA AI, or by sticking with the "8 is Great" method, and starting with 8 bracelets on one wrist.  One bracelet = an 8 oz glass of water.

Since I am not one to conform (lol!), I sort of did this my own way.  When I was participating in a weight loss program 7 years ago, it was recommended that you drink half your weight in ounces each day.  As now I only weigh 90 some odd pounds (just to make you all not gasp at that figure I am only 4'9" tall), that would put me around 45 - 50 oz a day.  So I proceeded with my plan to just start with 6 bracelets.

So does it work?  I think so.  The first day, I did not drink all my water but I did get 3 glasses in, which as I said is generally more than usually gets past my lips.  The second day I was up to 4.  By the third day I had managed to move all 6 bracelets from my left wrist to my right wrist! Hooray.  The fourth day I added a 7th bracelet in the morning.  The fifth day, I sucked, I only drank 3 again.  But...the reason I think it works is;  I was continually aware by the fifth day, that I should be drinking that water.  My brain was telling me that I needed to go into the kitchen and fill up a glass or bottle and drink it.  I in my stubborness kept putting it off, and when I got ready for bed and took the bracelets off, I felt really guilty and told myself tomorrow I'd do better.  And I did!

This is still not a full blown habit for me, but as long as the bracelets are on, I have that visual reminder that I should be getting that water in, and that is the motivator for me to get it.

Habitwise also has a fundraising program, which you can view the details about here.   If you are looking to raise money for a cause and would like to use a healthy, motivating way, this program just might fit your organization.

I have one note about the bracelets in the women's get kits.  They are made on the stretchy elastic with tiny seed type beads.  Please be careful that you don't over stretch them or have young children play with them.  None of mine have broken (mind you I have not placed them under any duress), but if they should that is a lot of little beads scattered around for little ones to be inquisitive over.

Habitwise is kindly allowing one of my readers to receive a Get kit of their choice.  Visit Habitwise and tell me what kit you would choose.
For extra entries you can (please leave a new comment for each additional entry):

1. Follow Me and Habitwise on twitter and tweet this giveaway (this can be done daily!) Simply Tweet "@threedifferent @habitwise   get Habitwise: Make Healthy A Habit Giveaway http://bit.ly/2wOUcF Habit Wise Makes It Easy"
2. Become a Fan of Habitwise on Facebook
3. Subscribe to my feed via reader or email
4. Follow my blog publicly
5. Add my button to your blog
6. Post about this giveaway on your blog and link back to it

This giveaway will end on October 18, 2009 at 11:59 pm cst and is open to U.S. Residents ages 18+. The winner will be chosen by random.org and will be e-mailed. The winner will have 48 hours to respond to the e-mail or an alternate winner will be chosen. By entering this giveaway you are stating that you have read my **About Reviews and my Privacy/Rules statements and agree to them.

86 comments »

  • Anonymous said:  

    I'd choose getLoss for Women. I really need to concentrate on losing pounds.

    bgcchs(at)yahoo(dot)com

  • Anonymous said:  

    Subscribe via email.

    bgcchs(at)yahoo(dot)com

  • Ann said:  

    I would love to win the getWet kit as I too have problems with drinking enough water in a day, or I lose track of how much I already drank. This would certainly help. Thanks for the great giveaway!
    ann dot guns at mac dot com

  • Ann said:  

    I'm an email subscriber: ann dot guns at mac dot com

  • Ann said:  

    I follow your blog.
    ann dot guns at mac dot com

  • Peggy said:  

    So neat!! I would get the getLoss for Women - Warm
    Thanks
    matternu@aol.com

  • Peggy said:  

    tweet
    http://twitter.com/velvet1116/status/4608615011
    matternu@aol.com

  • Peggy said:  

    a Fan of Habitwise on Facebook
    matternu@aol.com

  • Peggy said:  

    Subscribe to email
    matternu@aol.com

  • Peggy said:  

    Follow blog publicly
    matternu@aol.com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I'd chose the GetLoss for Women. Thanks. Charlotte
    charlottewinters@cox.net

  • Laureen said:  

    I would definitely choose the GetWet - Women kit since I too am like a camel, very bad at drinking water (or any other liquid) each day. The GetFit (coming soon) sounds interesting too! Thanks!

    lmarston AT yahoo DOT com

  • Laureen said:  

    I subscrbe to your feed via email. Thanks!

    lmarston AT yahoo DOT com

  • Laureen said:  

    I follow you both on Twitter and tweeted:
    http://twitter.com/MamandeEDS/statuses/4618740306

    lmarston AT yahoo DOT com

  • dancealertreads.blogspot.com said:  

    I've chosen Get Loss Warm

    dancealert at aol dot com

  • dancealertreads.blogspot.com said:  

    I am following Healthwise and tweeted the giveaway

    dancealert at aol dot com

  • dancealertreads.blogspot.com said:  

    I am following you on twitter and tweeted the giveaway
    dancealert at aol dot com

  • dancealertreads.blogspot.com said:  

    I follow through google reader

    dancealert at aol dot com

  • dancealertreads.blogspot.com said:  

    I subscribe by email

    dancealert at aol dot com

  • Janette said:  

    What a great idea! I'd pick the Get Loss for Women, warm

  • Janette said:  

    following both on twitter and tweeted http://twitter.com/jsoldham/status/4621291160

  • Laureen said:  

    Daily Tweet:
    http://twitter.com/MamandeEDS/statuses/4646904203

    lmarston AT yahoo DOT com

  • Jeanine said:  

    i sure wish getfit was out! i'd like that. but of the available kits, i'd choose getloss for women.

  • Anonymous said:  

    I'd choose the GetWet kit for women.

    thefatesarevicious at yahoo dot com

  • Alice H said:  

    I'd love the GetWet for women - and I'm looking forward to GetFit which they say is coming soon. Thanks! alicedemskehansen at gmail.com

  • Alice H said:  

    I subscribe via google reader - alicedemskehansen at gmail.com

  • Alice H said:  

    I follow your blog - alicedemskehansen at gmail.com

  • Laureen said:  

    I follow you both on Twitter and Tweeted:
    http://twitter.com/MamandeEDS/statuses/4673672738

    lmarston AT yahoo DOT com

  • Rachel said:  

    The getWET bands - this is such an inspired, healthy idea!

    racheliznewman(at)gmail(dot)com

  • mogrill said:  

    Get loss warm is my pick. Thanks for the chance.
    mogrill@comcast.net

  • Laureen said:  

    I follow you both on Twitter.

    Daily Tweet:
    http://twitter.com/MamandeEDS/statuses/4700915990

    lmarston AT yahoo DOT com

  • Candyce said:  

    I would definitely choose the getloss plan for women - I've lost 100lbs to date, but still have 60-70 to go, and it's getting more difficult to lose ... ceevegnashville [at] gmail [dot] com

  • Rajee said:  

    I'd choose getLoss for Women. I really need to concentrate on losing pounds.

  • Rajee said:  

    Become a Fan of Habitwise on Facebook

  • Rajee said:  

    follow u on twitter and tweeted @momsfocus

  • Laureen said:  

    I follow you both on Twitter. Daily Tweet:
    http://twitter.com/MamandeEDS/statuses/4726363001

    lmarston AT yahoo DOT com

  • SavingDiva said:  

    I love the color of the getwet, but the getloss is more toward what I'm trying to change about myself.

    Excellent giveaway!

    savingforhome at gmail dot com

  • Renee said:  

    getLoss for women definitely!

  • Chryss said:  

    I have to say, the get loss is the coolest system! I love the udea of bracelets for women and tokens for guys!!!!!!

  • Michelle said:  

    I love the getWet for Women. I really need this too. I drink so many soda's I should be ashamed..lol..This would remind me to drink water instead =)

  • Michelle said:  

    I subscribe by email....

    shellbell574(at)yahoo(dot)com

  • Michelle said:  

    I Became a Fan of Habitwise on Facebook...

    My name on there is Michelle Berry

  • Michelle said:  

    I Follow your blog publicly as shellbell574...

  • Laureen said:  

    I follow you both on Twitter.
    Daily Tweet:
    http://twitter.com/MamandeEDS/statuses/4826515116

    lmarston AT yahoo DOT com

  • megan said:  

    I'd choose the get wet kit. I drink a lot of caffiene during the day and would like to replace it with water.

  • Laureen said:  

    I follow you both on Twitter. Daily Tweet:
    http://twitter.com/MamandeEDS/statuses/4854237122

    lmarston AT yahoo DOT com

  • Laureen said:  

    Daily Tweet:
    http://twitter.com/MamandeEDS/statuses/4878925048

    lmarston AT yahoo DOT com

  • E (E Kay) said:  

    I would choose the getWet

    emmiofthecamellias[at]gmail[dot]com

  • Terra Heck said:  

    I'd choose getTracking for Kids - Habit Plan No. 2
    Thanks.
    partymix25(at)hotmail(dot)com

  • Terra Heck said:  

    email subscriber
    partymix25(at)hotmail(dot)com

  • Terra Heck said:  

    I follow your blog.
    partymix25(at)hotmail(dot)com

  • Jenna Z said:  

    ooh, that sounds like an awesome system. I'd love to try the getLoss™ for Women!

  • Laureen said:  

    I follow you both on Twitter.

    Daily Tweet:
    http://twitter.com/MamandeEDS/statuses/4934200012

    lmarston AT yahoo DOT com

  • Laureen said:  

    I follow you both on Twitter.

    Daily Tweet:
    http://twitter.com/MamandeEDS/statuses/4960178330

    lmarston AT yahoo DOT com

  • Amanda D. said:  

    I'd pick the

    getLoss™ for Women: BOTH COLORS Collection

    macd82 at gmail dot com

  • Mrs. Apple said:  

    What a simple but effective form of reminders! I'd get the weight loss one too - lots of different habits at once. YAY!

    dadacovimajo at gmail dot com

  • lissaxolove said:  

    getLoss™ for Women sounds great!

    melis4745@yahoo.com

  • lissaxolove said:  

    I follow publicly!
    melis4745@yahoo.com

  • lissaxolove said:  

    I subscribe via email

    melis4745@yahoo.com

  • Dawn Reid said:  

    I'd chose the GetLoss for Women. Thanks
    mightynaynay(at)cs.com

  • chaipo said:  

    I would choose getLoss for women Warm.

    chaipoak@gmail.com

  • chaipo said:  

    http://twitter.com/chaipoakgnr/status/4977931256

    chaipoak@gmail.com

  • chaipo said:  

    fan of habitwise on facebook (Lori Moore)

    chaipoak@gmail.com

  • chaipo said:  

    following you on google reader
    chaipoak@gmail.com

  • chaipo said:  

    following in google friend connect

    chaipoak@gmail.com

  • chaipo said:  

    I have your button: http://northtoagnr.blogspot.com

    chaipoak@gmail.com

  • Jinxy and Me said:  

    I would choose getLoss™ for Women

  • Jinxy and Me said:  

    tweeted http://twitter.com/ThriftyJinxy/status/4978784311

  • Kathy P said:  

    id pick

    getLoss™ for Women
    Habit Plan No. 1

  • Kathy P said:  

    following your blog as klp1965 kathy pease

  • Unknown said:  

    I'd love the Habit Plan 1! I sooo need this to get better organized. My pre-baby brain hasn't come back yet. :)

    mkokopelli@aol.com

  • Unknown said:  

    Fan of Habit wise on FB

    mkokopelli@aol.com

  • /\Heather/\ said:  

    I looked at all of them and decided that the one you tried would be my best bet. getWet™ for Women is pretty cool (although I hardly ever wear stuff that blue goes with). lol

  • /\Heather/\ said:  

    Follow and tweeted - http://twitter.com/choochoo428/status/4983351338

  • cman said:  

    getLoss™ for Women: BOTH COLORS Collection :)

  • Laureen said:  

    I follow you both on Twitter. Daily Tweet:
    http://twitter.com/MamandeEDS/statuses/4983813229

    lmarston AT yahoo DOT com

  • Leave your response!