,

The Power of Respect: Review & Giveaway

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 Leave a Comment


Deborah Norville
In The Power of Respect Norville details the specific dollar savings in business and dramatic improvements in student test scores that are directly attributable to respect. She says, "Now that I've seen the research done by some of the greatest minds in the field, I am stunned to see the impact of being respected and giving respect. I am also mystified. Why wouldn't someone want to put it to work?"

Respect tips, sprinkled throughout the text, and Respect Reminders, at the end of each chapter, add to the clarity of the message and help reinforce the personal benefits. Start practicing this most overlooked ingredient of success and find out what it means for you!
Our culture has moved away from the respect that was once evident in most places of business, worship and education.  And despite what one might think it isn't always the youth that are disrespectful.  You'll find people in all classes, ages and positions fall into that category, and many of them seemingly aren't even aware of it.
Inside Edition anchor and best-selling author Deborah Norville has written a book about The Power of Respect, who has it, how they show it, and what you can do to have it too.
Quotations, interviews and research are what makes the book, and while often I found the text itself disjointed, the basic issue at hand - that of treating all people because everyone is worthy of respect.

I did not care for some of the analogies she made, nor with some of the people she interviewed, but the book basically comes down to how you can use The Power of Respect in your own life, and how it will not only change how others look at you, but how you look at others.  That makes it worth reading.

Thanks to Thomas Nelson Publishers I have two copies of the book to giveaway. 

To enter leave a comment telling me one way you show respect to those around you.

For extra entries (the above must be done first) you can:
 
1. Become a fan of Three Different Directions on Facebook
2. Follow me on twitter and tweet this giveaway (this can be once per day, please leave the direct link to your tweet in the comments). Just click the birdie.
3. Follow my blog publicly.
4. Subscribe to my feed via e-mail or reader.
5. Blog about this giveaway linking back to my blog.
6. Add my button to your blog.

This giveaway will end on November 11, 2009 at 11:59 pm cst and open to U.S. Residents (no PO Boxes) ages 18+. The winner will be chosen by random.org and will be e-mailed. The winner will have 48 hours to respond to the e-mail or an alternate winner will be chosen. By entering this giveaway you are stating that you have read my **About Reviews and Privacy/Rules declaration and agree to them.

I received a complimentary copy of The Power of Respect to host & promote this giveaway.

32 comments »

  • lissaxolove said:  

    I show respect to others by basically treating them with how I want to be treated. Listening, no judging, pure kindness!

    melis4745@yahoo.com

  • lissaxolove said:  

    I subscribe via email
    melis4745@yahoo.com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I am an active listener. I stop what I'm doing, make eye contact, listen carefully. I clarify what's being said and make no assumptions.


    bgcchs(at)yahoo(dot)com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I subscribe via email.


    bgcchs(at)yahoo(dot)com

  • The Little Miss said:  

    looks like a great book!
    If you would like come check out my blog and enter my current giveaway at littlemissheirlooms.blogspot.com
    I hope you decided to follow me because I try to bring my readers a new and AMAZING giveaway every Monday!
    Xo
    Priscila

  • Nancy said:  

    I show respect by giving someone my full attention when they speak.

    Nancy
    allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

  • Nancy said:  

    I am an e-mail subscriber.

    Nancy
    allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

  • Nancy said:  

    I am a public follower: allibrary.

    Nancy
    allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

  • chromiumman said:  

    i show respect by listening to what people say

  • mverno said:  

    by listening to what they have to say mverno@roadrunner.com

  • Renee said:  

    I am extra careful to use the magic words please and thank you!

  • samarcy said:  

    wow what a great book, i work with alot of young people and i try to set the example, and show them what respect is, and when they are out of line i let them know!!!

  • Anonymous said:  

    I try my best to listen and not give advice or my opinion unless someone asks specifically for them. It seems most people just need a good listener. :)

  • Rita M said:  

    Pretty simple - that "Do unto others" thing really works!

  • cstironkat said:  

    I use manners such as please, thank you, yes sir etc. Showing manners is respect.

  • Smooshy said:  

    I make sure people can tell that I'm listening to them when they talk to me. It drives me crazy when I'm speaking to someone and I know they're not paying attention to me!

  • Nickolay said:  

    By giving everyone their chance to speak and never stepping on someone elses conversation

    jason(at)allworldautomotive(dot)com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I use my manners alot more.
    erma.hurtt@sbcglobal.net

  • Anonymous said:  

    Using good manners is always a sign of respect.
    president(dot)peaches(at)hotmail(dot)com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I listen and use good manners.

    shawnac68@hotmail.com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I always say "Please" and "Thank You"!

    theyyyguy@yahoo.com

  • dreamcleavers said:  

    i give respect by listening, one thing most don't do
    dreamcleavers@yahoo.com

  • dreamcleavers said:  

    fan on facebook
    dreamcleavers
    dreamcleavers@yahoo.com
    lance pearson

  • dreamcleavers said:  

    follow on google connect
    dreamcleavers@yahoo.com

  • dreamcleavers said:  

    subscribe to the feed
    dreamcleavers@yahoo.com

  • Christina said:  

    Christina 0 xristya@rock.com - There's a Sufi saying about addressing the God in each person, and I try to do this, to respect the higher plane of each person I know and meet and to interact with it.

  • susan1215 said:  

    I listen when people talk and express my opnions if they ask for it.

    s2s2(at)comcast(dot)net

  • Tiffany819 said:  

    I treat them the way I would want to be treated and that is speaking respectful to others. Thank you!

    Tiffanys819 at gmail dot com

  • Hotsnotty2 said:  

    I always listen to people and give honest and helpful advice when they ask for it, thanks!

    Hotsnotty2@hotmail.com

  • cman said:  

    I treat people the way I want to be treated. Very simple!

  • Anonymous said:  

    In meetings I encourage everyone to speak and I listen to them. garrettsambo@aol.com

  • Leave your response!