Things Left Unspoken: Book Review
Thursday, August 6, 2009
Leave a Comment
Every family --and every house -- has its secrets.
Things Left Unspoken
Author: Eva Marie Everson
381 pages
published by Revell a division of Baker Publishing
Jo-Lynn Hunter is at a crossroads in life when her great-aunt Stella insists that she return home to restore the old family manse in sleepy Cottonwood, Georgia. Seeing the project as the perfect excuse for some therapeutic time away from her self-absorbed husband and his snobby Atlanta friends, Jo-Lynn longs to get her teeth into a noteworthy and satisfying project. But things are not what they seem, both in the house and within the complex history of her family.
My review:
I have never spent any significant time in a Southern community (unless you count Disney World ☺), but I've heard many a time that the culture there is different than here in the Midwest. I imagine its everything Everson has portrayed in Cottonwood, Georgia.
I thoroughly enjoyed this "mid-life coming of age" story. I label it that simply because that's how I viewed the tale. An almost 50 year old woman reflecting on not just her life, but her heritage and her place in God's plan.
The writing is engaging, my heart wrenched at the flashbacks and the plot progressed at a steady pace.
I think the character of Jo-Lynn is one many women will identify with.
Since time to read is limited for a lot of people, I try to gauge whether it would be worth the time of someone to open the cover of a book when I review it, and I believe this one is.
Please read **About Reviews at the bottom of the page. I was provided a copy of the book from Revell in order to read it prior to writing this review.



























0 comments »
Leave your response!