, , , , , ,

Adina's Deck DVDs - Review & Giveaway

Saturday, July 11, 2009 Leave a Comment

Adina's Deck - Technology Meets Its Match

Move over Mystery Inc. there's a new game in town. Adina's Deck is a group of 8th grade girls, thrown together through a circumstance of cyber-bullying and make a club where they are determined to defend the innocent and root out the guilty, using their technology skills.

I actually came across these dvds while doing a search on the internet for games to play with a deck of cards. I was impressed by the video trailers and the topics the dvds were based on and bookmarked the site. I found myself gravitating back to it the next day, and sent an e-mail to Debbie Heimowitz one of the founders of the series, along with Jason Azicri, asking if I could review these for my blog.

As a mother of a teenager I'm concerned about what takes place on the internet. Amber is involved in message boards, facebook and forums. We try and watch who she talks with and what she says, but on the other side there is a point to where we have to trust her as well. We are constantly pitching the lectures advice of how to stay safe online, but in all reality we realize that a lot of times she is probably tuning us out. Often our children will listen or take heed of an issue from another source, especially if it is from someone or something that resembles their peer group. Adina's Deck is just such a resource.

Two episodes of Adina's Deck deal with safety and the consequences of cyber-bullying and an online crush. Issues that are very prevalent for today's tweens and teens. Since technology is often given to very young children they are immersed early on in situations that often require more maturity than they have. The lessons these dvds teach is that there are consequences to both sides of the issues and when in doubt talk to an adult about it.


The third episode is the one that really caught my eye. It is about plagiarizing. As a homeschooling parent there are certain topics that I know need to be dealt with, but sometimes don't get discussed because of the schooling situation we've chosen. One of them is plagiarism. We've just started delving into research papers as we round out middle school and are preparing for many more in high school. With the internet becoming more and more of a source of information, teaching our children to cite and record their findings is very important. Not just because they may get caught, but because it is theft.


I think these dvds are right on the mark and are up to date with the issues they cover as well as the portrayal of the characters. They are perfect for a group setting (classrooms, homeschool co-ops, girl scouts etc) or home viewing. They are very well done and resemble the shows your tween or teen may already watch on Nickelodeon or The Disney Channel. They've been officially picked for many film festivals and have won awards. There is enough humor in them to keep the kids watching through the entire episode and plenty of meat in them to discuss the topics with them afterward.

Each dvd is $19.95 or you can purchase the 3 as a set for $39.95.

This is what Amber thought: The characters were really good, the issues are serious but they are put out in such a way that makes them enjoyable, and I really liked Clara's dad's sock puppet.

(Umm..yeah, the sock puppet if you want to know more about that, I guess you'll have to get the dvds!)

Please read **About Reviews at the bottom of the page.

Debbie Heimowitz is generously giving away a set of the 3 dvds to a reader here on my blog!

To enter the giveaway visit Adina's Deck and tell me who would be watching this dvd and which one they think they'd like best (please give the full name of the dvd).

For Extra Entries:

1. Leave a comment with an idea you would like to see for a future episode of Adina's Deck.
2. Follow me on twitter and tweet about this giveaway (this can be done daily).
3. Blog about this giveaway leaving a link back to my blog.
4. Add my button to your blog.
5. Follow my blog publicly.

This giveaway is open to residents of the US ages 18+, and ends on July 22nd, 2009 at 11:59 pm cst.

42 comments »

  • mverno said:  

    my husband and i mverno@roadrunner.com

  • valerie2350 said:  

    The Case of the Plagarized Paper for my guys :)

  • varnifarm said:  

    I hope you and your readers enjoy these dvd's as much as we enjoyed making them. Thank you for recommending them!
    Amelia Varni - Adina

  • annies home said:  

    I have six children, nieces, nephews and a grandaughter who can all benefit

  • annies home said:  

    self esteem issues
    shopannies@Yahoo.com

  • MOMFOREVERANDEVER said:  

    self esteem for the girls here and plagarism for all just so the kids see what it is - etc- they know what plagarism is- and see blogs using it, and friends using it claiming its their own work but it is nice to go into further about how it is wrong- too many copy and think its ok
    mrs.mommyyatgmaildotcom

  • Misusedinnocence said:  

    For my neice, regarding self esteem.

    misusedinnocence@aol.com

  • Misusedinnocence said:  

    I follow.

    misusedinnocence@aol.com

  • Carol EL said:  

    Episode 1: Skye’s Cyber Bullying Mystery is my choice because it is relevant today. My older grandchildren Sam and Kayla will be watching. jelly15301@gmail.com

  • Carol EL said:  

    Google blog follower. jelly15301@gmail.com

  • Carol EL said:  

    A case dealing with loyalty to your friends would be helpful. jelly15301@gmail.com

  • Anonymous said:  

    Thank you for such a great review about Adina's Deck! This is Ciera Trussell (I play "Clara" in all 3 episodes). We had a great time making these films and hope you really enjoy them. Working with Stephanie, Kelcie, Amelia and all the other cast and crew was so much fun! We all "connected" right away and I think that really shows in the films.. ENJOY! Looking forward to Episode 4! Best Wishes, Ciera Trussell

  • Anonymous said:  

    I would love these for my daughters especially Episode 3: The Case of the Plagiarized Paper.

  • Terra Heck said:  

    These would be great for my teenage daughters. I think they'd be particularly interested in The Case of the Online Crush.
    partymix25(at)hotmail(dot)com

  • Ms. Anita said:  

    I think my whole family would be watching this, and we'd probably think this one is our favorite:

    Episode 3: The Case of the Plagiarized Paper

    roseinthemorning [at] gmail [dot] com

  • Ms. Anita said:  

    I follow your blog publicly.

    roseinthemorning [at] gmail [dot] com

  • Ms. Anita said:  

    I have your button on my blog:

    http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Suzanne/

    roseinthemorning [at] gmail [dot] com

  • DarcyO said:  

    My daughter would watch these, especially Episode 1: Skye’s Cyber Bullying Mystery.

    dlodden(at)frontiernet(dot)net

  • DarcyO said:  

    Subscriber.

    dlodden(at)frontiernet(dot)net

  • Anonymous said:  

    My kids would watch it. I think the dvd Episode 2: The Case of the Online Crush would be apporiate for them to see since they are always online.
    erma.hurtt@sbcglobal.net

  • Anonymous said:  

    My nieces and I would watch the Case of the Online Crush!

    Thank you for introducing these DVDs, they look helpful.

    one18fifteen@aol.com

  • Anonymous said:  

    For my niece Hannah; Solving Cyber Bullying Mysteries

    theyyyguy@yahoo.com

  • Gloria's Bits and Pieces said:  

    My daughter would like The Case of the Plagiarized Paper.

    kngmckellar@hotmail.com

  • kerri69 said:  

    My daughter karlee the solving cyber bullying mysteries

  • kerri69 said:  

    I am following under kerri69

  • blogggggg said:  

    I work at a library and I would love to show these to our youth group! I think they would enjoy Episode 1:
    Solving Cyber Bullying Mysteries.

    wordsmoveme at gmail dot com

  • blogggggg said:  

    I follow your blog!

    wordsmoveme at gmail dot com

  • susan1215 said:  

    My daughter and I would watch the Case of the Online Crush

  • Deb K said:  

    My granddaughter would be watching the DVD's and I think that she would like the Episode 1: Skye’s Cyber Bullying Mystery the best as she is online not only at home but school too,so I think that she would really benefit from learning about what to do if someone bothers her.

  • Deb K said:  

    I would also like to see a series about sibling spats and how to deal with being the older/younger child.

  • Gabriel S-J. said:  

    I like Episode 3: The Case of the Plagiarized Paper.

  • Maja said:  

    For my niece and the Case of the Plagarized Paper.

  • joan ferris said:  

    My family would be watchinh The Case Of the Online Crush.
    joan ferris
    jnferris@aol.com

  • Liz Mays said:  

    This would be for my niece and she'd love the Case of the Plagiarized Paper.
    doot65[at]comcast{dot}net

  • tina reynolds said:  

    my whole family will be watching expecially my niece. The case of the online crush looks good thanks for the chance to win eaglesforjack@gmail.com

  • tina reynolds said:  

    i follow thanks eaglesforjack@gmail.com

  • tina reynolds said:  

    i subscribe thanks for the chance eaglesforjack@gmail.com

  • lilyk said:  

    My friend would be watching this DVD. I think he would like The Case of the Online Crush.

  • Leave your response!