, , ,

Review & Giveaway Skin Free: A New Direction in Skin Care

Friday, June 26, 2009 Leave a Comment


I've been replacing more and more of my products with things that are natural and not all filled with chemicals and toxins. When Skin Free contacted me to do a review of their products, I was eager to assist them.

I chose to try out the Extra Moisturizing Liquid Soap as well as the Super Moisture Body Balm.

Let me tell you a bit about Skin Free and their products first, and then I will tell you what I thought about the products I tried.

Skin Free products are:
Pharmacist formulated and doctor recommended patented formulas for delicate, sensitive and very dry or damaged skin.


  • All Natural, Vegan Ingredients
  • No Perfumes
  • No Petroleum Products
  • No Harmful Chemicals
  • No Steroids
  • No Colorants
  • No Greasy feeling
  • No Animal Testing, Cruelty Free
and they are
Recommended for individuals with:

  • Extreme Dry Skin
  • Skin or Fragrance Allergies
  • Psoriasis
  • Dermatitis
  • Eczema
  • Pregnant Moms
  • Babies
  • The Elderly
  • Diabetics
  • Renal Patients
  • After Radiation or Chemotherapy
The Extra Moisturizing Liquid Soap is a great find. I used it for shaving, to wash my face, in the shower and as a hand soap. It's not made for it (or recommended by Skin Free) but I even laundered a hand washable item with it! It is very gentle and while I am one who generally loves a scented product, I didn't miss the scent because of all the other reasons to love it. There was absolutely no residue left when using it any way I tried it, and I (and my hand washable) was very clean after using it.


The Super Moisture Body Balm while unscented, to me did have a little scent to it. I thought it was almost a weak baking chocolate smell (although my husband who loves chocolate begs to differ, but my daughter somewhat agreed with me lol!) The scent (or lack thereof) didn't bother me though. Because of the ingredients the texture could change due to temperature fluctuations. I believe that happened to mine during shipping (really hot weather and then the air conditioning in my home), when I received it it was really thick and I could not squeeze it out of the bottle. According to the sticker on the bottle though, I popped it into the microwave, and then shook it, and it was back to its original consistency.


Since it is made from natural products the emollients in those products are higher than what most lotions have in them (most lotions only contain about 5% oils). The lotion absorbed into my skin well enough when applied, but I found it left a little bit of a greasy feel and residue on my hand that I felt like I had to wash off after using it. I realize too though, that lotions and textures are a very personal thing, so it may be just the right lotion for someone else.

I am adding an edit right here to this post because Julie Hilton from Skin Free left a comment that I'm sure will change my mind about the lotion next time I use it and I wanted to make sure everyone caught it.

I would like to mention that the greasy feeling from the Balm comes from using too much product. Most people aren't used to using as little moisturizer as you need from Skin Free because they are 100% oils & butters.

If you only use a drop or two at first, you can find exactly how much you need to apply so that it soaks completely into your skin. -- Julie Hilton

Bottom Line: I loved the Extra Moisturizing Liquid Soap, but personally thought the Super Moisture Body Balm was just okay. I will definitely be recommending the soap to my mom who recently completed three rounds of radiation treatment after having a cancerous tumor removed.

Please Read **About Reviews at the bottom of this page.

Skin Free has generously offered one of my readers a $30.00 gift certificate to shop on their site!

To enter visit Skin Free and leave a comment telling me what other product besides either the Extra Moisturizing Liquid Soap or Super Moisture Body Balm you would want to purchase with your certificate.

For extra entries after completing the above you can: (leave a separate comment for each one)

* follow me on twitter and tweet about this giveaway (can be done daily)
* blog about this giveaway and link back to my blog and www.skinfree.net
* follow my blog publicly
* subscribe to my feed by e-mail or reader
* add my button to your blog
* add me to your blog roll

This contest is open to residents of the U.S. ages 18+ and will end on July 6th, 2009 at 11:59 pm cst. The winner will be notified by e-mail and have 72 hours to respond.

129 comments »

  • Julie Hilton said:  

    Hi Tammy,

    Thx for the great review. I would like to mention that the greasy feeling from the Balm comes from using too much product. Most people aren't used to using as little moisturizer as you need from Skin Free because they are 100% oils & butters.

    If you only use a drop or two at first, you can find exactly how much you need to apply so that it soaks completely into your skin.

    Best to all, Julie Hilton, www.skinfree.net

  • Unknown said:  

    I also love the Spa Scrub Power Pak. amsbolda@hotmail.com

  • Unknown said:  

    I follow your blog.amsbolda@hotmail.com

  • Unknown said:  

    I follow on twitter and tweeted. amsbolda@hotmail.com

    http://twitter.com/1amypugmire/status/2344679659

  • Denise S. said:  

    I'd love to try out the Spa Scrub Power Pack.

  • Marci @OvercomingBusy said:  

    I would love to try the correcting face nectar.

  • Courtney B said:  

    i would try the spa scrub! vanitizebaby@yahoo.com

  • Peggy said:  

    I would love to try the Nutritional and Anti-Oxidant Synergy for Face
    Thanks
    matternu@aol.com

  • Peggy said:  

    follow your blog
    matternu@aol.com

  • Peggy said:  

    email subscriber
    matternu@aol.com

  • Peggy said:  

    Added your button to my blog
    matternu@aol.com

  • Ebby said:  

    I would purchase the Niaouli Butter Stick™. I have dry skin and this would be perfect for moisturizing dry areas of the hands and feet.

  • Anonymous said:  

    I'm a feed reader

  • Anonymous said:  

    I'd love to get the: Whipped Tamanu Body Butter™ - 8 oz - $18.99

  • throuthehaze said:  

    i like the Lite Moisture for Blemish Prone Skin

  • throuthehaze said:  

    blogroll

    http://throuthehaze.blogspot.com/

  • throuthehaze said:  

    subscribe in google reader

  • barbara said:  

    I'd buy the Basic Four Gift Set

  • barbara said:  

    I follow you on Twitter and tweeted: http://twitter.com/bsw529/status/2353385003

  • My Heart Blogged said:  

    the Green Clay Mask for Blemish Prone Skin sounds good

    lostinthemission (at) yahoo (dot) com

  • My Heart Blogged said:  

    follower of your blog

    lostinthemission (at) yahoo (dot) com

  • llinda29 said:  

    Our soap is like no others. It’s rich, creamy lather makes your skin feel rejuvenated and fresh. Most commercially available “soaps” are actually detergents.

  • Jessilyn82 said:  

    The Whipped Tamanu Butter looks great!

  • Jessilyn82 said:  

    I follow on Twitter (jessilyn82) and did a tweet http://twitter.com/Jessilyn82/status/2356976254

  • clc408 said:  

    I would love to try the Whipped Tamanu Body Butter™. Thanks for the chance.

  • Sharon Harmon said:  

    The Sweet & Smooth Sugar Scrub is just what I need! I have itchy dry skin and this awesome scrub will definitely spoil me in a very sweet way!! Thank you for the contest!
    txgigggles@yahoo.com

  • Tracy said:  

    I would like to try the Niaouli butter stick.
    4heartbeats@gmail.com

  • Tracy said:  

    I am a follower.
    4heartbeats@gmail.com

  • barbara said:  

    RT - http://twitter.com/bsw529/status/2361383077

  • lisa said:  

    Right now i could use the Lite Moisture Cream for Daily Use. msmith572@yahoo.com

  • lisa said:  

    I follow you on twitter(samasam). Here is my tweet: http://twitter.com/samasam/status/2361512302
    msmith572@yahoo.com

  • lisa said:  

    I follow your blog. msmith572@yahoo.com

  • lisa said:  

    Email subscriber. msmith572@yahoo.com

  • lisa said:  

    I have your button on my sidebar:http://stephie-stephsblog.blogspot.com/
    msmith572@yahoo.com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I would love that Spa Scrub Power Pak!

    hebert024 at aoldot com

  • Sunnyvale said:  

    the skin renewal system

  • Deborah Wellenstein said:  

    I would love to try the Super Moisture Butter Creme. Thank you!

  • Anonymous said:  

    i want the spa scrub power!

    autumn398 @ yahoo.com

  • lisa said:  

    Daily tweet: http://twitter.com/samasam/status/2373164773
    msmith572@yahoo.com

  • barbara said:  

    RT - http://twitter.com/bsw529/status/2373451845

  • Laurie said:  

    I would love to try the Spa Scrub Power Pak.

  • Laurie said:  

    I follow you on twitter. Here's my tweet...

    http://twitter.com/Bargain_Hunter_/status/2383597652

  • jennem said:  

    At Skin Free, I'd like to try the Niaouli Scrub for Blemish Prone Skin
    Jennifer, jennem22 at yahoo dot com

  • Roxy said:  

    I also love the Spa Scrub Power Pak

    hockiemack at hotmail.com

  • Katie said:  

    I would get the Eczema Relief Kit.
    katiekarr at gmail dot com

  • nightowl said:  

    I'd like to try the Corrective Face Nectar.

  • cstironkat said:  

    I would like the Lite Moisture Cream for Daily Use

  • Sara said:  

    I would like to try the lite moisture for blemish prone skin.
    seraphou@aol.com

  • lisa said:  

    Daily tweet: http://twitter.com/samasam/status/2408438528
    msmith572@yahoo.com

  • barbara said:  

    RT - http://twitter.com/bsw529/status/2412568953

  • miller lawn service said:  

    I'd really like to try the products in the About Face Power Pack

  • Anonymous said:  

    I would purchase the Niaouli Butter Stick! Thanks for the giveaway!

    luckymegs1981 AT yahoo DOT com

  • vboackle said:  

    i like the spa scrub power pak.

  • ChristyJan said:  

    I would purchase the Daytime Light Moisture.

    hawkes(at)citlink.net

  • ChristyJan said:  

    I suscribe.

    hawkes(at)citlink.net

  • lisa said:  

    Daily tweet: http://twitter.com/samasam/status/2425577836
    msmith572@yahoo.com

  • barbara said:  

    Daily Tweet: http://twitter.com/bsw529/status/2425744777

  • Smooshy said:  

    i want the whipped tamanu body butter!

  • lisa said:  

    Daily tweet: http://twitter.com/samasam/status/2438596184
    msmith572@yahoo.com

  • denyse said:  

    I'd like to try the Daytime Light Moisture.

    denyse_g@hotmail.com

  • Happi Shopr said:  

    I like the About Face Power Pack. trinitygsd at yahoo dot com

  • barbara said:  

    I tweeted: http://twitter.com/bsw529/status/2443535148

  • msrodeobrat said:  

    i would like the Nutritional and Anti-Oxidant Synergy for Face

  • Anonymous said:  

    I would like to try the Green Clay Mask for Blemish Prone Skin. Thanks! thebubbledies(at)gmail(dot)com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I follow your blog. Thanks! thebubbledies(at)gmail(dot)com

  • Ken said:  

    I like the Eczema Relief Kit - $25.00. Please accept my entry. Thank you.

  • lisa said:  

    Daily tweet: http://twitter.com/samasam/status/2460725769
    msmith572@yahoo.com

  • barbara said:  

    I tweeted: http://twitter.com/bsw529/status/2461232006

  • ky2here said:  

    I'd like to try the Basic 4 Gift Set.

  • lisa said:  

    Daily tweet: http://twitter.com/samasam/status/2470597848
    msmith572@yahoo.com

  • barbara said:  

    I tweeted: http://twitter.com/bsw529/status/2471088568

  • Sarah Z said:  

    I want to try the Corrective Face Nectar!
    Thanks
    Sarah
    believedreamcourage (at) gmail.com

  • heaventrees said:  

    I love the feel and texture of body butters so I would try the Whipped Tamanu Body Butter from Skin Free.

  • Marianna said:  

    I'd like to try the extra moisturizing soap and shampoo bar or the super moisture butter creme for my son with eczema!

  • Gloria's Bits and Pieces said:  

    I would try the Spa Scrub Power Pak.

    kngmckellar@hotmail.com

  • Gloria's Bits and Pieces said:  

    I follow your blog as kngmckellar.


    kngmckellar@hotmail.com

  • Gloria's Bits and Pieces said:  

    i subscribe already

    kngmckellar@hotmail.com

  • lisa said:  

    Daily tweet: http://twitter.com/samasam/status/2484591736
    msmith572@yahoo.com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I like the Spa Scrub Power Pak.
    erma.hurtt@sbcglobal.net

  • Tuesday Girl said:  

    I would love to try the Corrective Face Nectar!

    tuesdayef at aol dot com

  • barbara said:  

    I tweeted: http://twitter.com/bsw529/status/2487096346

  • covercover said:  

    I'd get the Lite Moisture for Blemish Prone Skin and the Lite Moisture Cream for Daily Use

    ktanjatk(at)gmail(dot)com

  • covercover said:  

    following on twitter & tweeted:
    http://twitter.com/ktanjatk/status/2487702153

    ktanjatk(at)gmail(dot)com

  • covercover said:  

    follower

    ktanjatk(at)gmail(dot)com

  • covercover said:  

    subscriber

    ktanjatk(at)gmail(dot)com

  • BrendaLea, the Prpldy said:  

    i really want to try the Extra Moisturizing Soap & Shampoo Bar. Thanks for the chance to win.

    prpldy (at) comcast dot net

  • BrendaLea, the Prpldy said:  

    I already eagerly follow your blog publicly.

    prpldy@comcast dot net

  • tina reynolds said:  

    i like the Spa Scrub Power Pak thanks for the chance eaglesforjack@gmail.com

  • tina reynolds said:  

    i follow thanks eaglesforjack@gmail.com

  • tina reynolds said:  

    i subscribe thanks eaglesforjack@gmail.com

  • Kate said:  

    The Niaouli Butter Stick looks helpful!

    strycker@slu.edu

  • wendy wallach said:  

    I would like to try the extra moisturizing soap and shampoo bar.

    madamerkf at aol dot com

  • Charity S said:  

    I would get the Eczema Relief Kit.

    Thanks

    charisscharity [at] yahoo [dot] com

  • Charity S said:  

    I follow and tweeted.

    https://twitter.com/ccboobooy/status/2498763433

  • barbara said:  

    Final Tweet: http://twitter.com/bsw529/status/2500871219

  • lisa said:  

    Daily tweet: http://twitter.com/samasam/status/2501511623
    msmith572@yahoo.com

  • Pamela S said:  

    I'd like to try the Tamanu body butter for myself, and the Extra Moisturizing Soap and Shampoo bars for my teens with acne.

    Thanks!
    pamelashockley(AT)netscape(DOT)net

  • Pamela S said:  

    I follow!

    Thanks!
    pamelashockley(AT)netscape(DOT)net

  • Gabriel S-J. said:  

    I like the Niaouli Butter Stick.

  • Sheila R said:  

    I really like the Niaouli butter stick because I have patches of dry skin. My skin on my hands have started randomly peeling off in spots.
    ilovebabynoah707@yahoo.com

  • Sheila R said:  

    I subscribe via email.
    ilovebabynoah707@yahoo.com

  • Melanie Montgomery said:  

    I'd love to try the Daytime Light Moisture™.



    clarkmurdock@yahoo.com

  • Kathy P said:  

    id love to try the Eczema Relief Kit - 1 - $25.00

  • Kathy P said:  

    http://twitter.com/klp1965/status/2505854472

  • Kathy P said:  

    following your blog as klp1965
    kathy pease

  • Bakersdozen said:  

    I wouldlove to try the Spa Scrub Power Pak, but the moisturizers look great also. vidomich(at)yahoo(dot)com

  • dvice12 said:  

    I'd like the Spa Scrub Power Pak

  • yadgirl said:  

    I like the About Face Power Pack.

  • Kathy said:  

    I would buy the Niaouli Scrub for Blemish Prone Skin and some cream for everday use.

  • Anonymous said:  

    I would love to try the Corrective Face Nectar. Thank you for the opportunity to participate in this giveaway!

  • ZESTYWONDERLAND said:  

    I most want to try the Sweet & Smooth Sugar Scrub!

    So I would get the Spa scrucb pack,

    zestywonderland@gmail.com

  • liliesrnice said:  

    i like the extra moisturizing soap and shampoo bar.

  • ZESTYWONDERLAND said:  

    I follow on blogger!

    zestywonderland@gmail.com

  • ZESTYWONDERLAND said:  

    I subscribe!

    zestywonderland@gmail.com

  • /\Heather/\ said:  

    Hmmmm, I would love to try the Corrective Face Nectar. Thanks!

  • ZESTYWONDERLAND said:  

    I follow on blogger!

    zestywonderland@gmail.com

  • Donna said:  

    I would like the Skin Renewal System - 1.
    donna444444@yahoo.com

  • Donna said:  

    subscriber
    donna444444@yahoo.com

  • Donna said:  

    follower
    donna444444@yahoo.com

  • Donna said:  

    Put your button on my blog.
    donna444444@yahoo.com

  • Donna said:  

    Put your link on my blogroll.
    donna444444@yahoo.com

  • Leave your response!