,

The Night Gardener Review & Giveaway

Sunday, June 21, 2009 Leave a Comment

The Night Gardener - George Pelecanos

When the body of a local teenager is found in a community garden, detective Gus Ramone relives intense memories of a twenty-year-old case. Back when he was a rookie, Ramone and his partner "Doc" Holiday assisted legendary detective T.C. Cook in the investigation of a series of murders involving young victims. The killer, dubbed "the Night Gardener," was never caught.

The fierce sense of anger, regret, and purpose that once burned among these three men comes rushing back as they race to vanquish the monster who has stalked their dreams. For Cook, now retired, it means solving one of the few cases that eluded him. For Holiday, whose career as a cop was derailed, it's one last chance to redeem himself. For Ramone, catching the killer means not only doing his job but knowing that his own teenage son, who was a friend of the dead boy, won' t be the next victim.


I had not up to this point read anything by George Pelecanos so was unsure of what to expect. The Night Gardener is a well written book, albeit much different than what I usually read. This book is brassy, the writing style definitely holds you tightly to turn the next page, and it is a really good mystery/police drama plot. It does hold a lot of coarse language and adult themes throughout, definitely a Mature Audience book and if it were produced as a movie the way it is written, would almost certainly be R rated.

Hachette Book Group has generously supplied 5 books to be given away here on my blog for you my readers!

To enter this giveaway just leave a comment saying you would like this book.

For extra entries (leave a comment for each one):

1. Subscribe to my blog via e-mail or reader
2. Follow my blog publicly
3. Add my blog to your blog roll
4. Add my button to your blog
5. Follow me on twitter and tweet about this giveaway.

Open to U.S. and Canadian residents ages 18+. (No P.O. Boxes). This contest will end on July 4th, 2009 at 11:59 pm cst, and the winners will have 72 hours to reply to my e-mail or a new winner will be chosen in their place.

147 comments »

  • Anonymous said:  

    I have been reading great reviews for this book, it's on my summer reading list, I would love to win a copy!!

  • PatZ said:  

    I love thrillers and I would like this book.

  • Aisling said:  

    I enjoy reading George Pelecanos and would love to win this book.

  • Amber said:  

    George Pelecanos is great - I would love to win!
    Thank you for the giveaway :)
    hurdler4eva(at)gmail(dot)com

  • Amber said:  

    I follow your blog publicly!
    Thank you for the giveaway :)
    hurdler4eva(at)gmail(dot)com

  • mverno said:  

    i would like the book mverno@roadrunner.com

  • Denise S. said:  

    I'd love to read this book!

  • linett said:  

    Would love to have this book, hes a fantastic author

  • Sara said:  

    I need a good summer read! This could be it! Thanks!

  • abfantom said:  

    This sounds like an interesting book that I'd like to read. Please enter me in your giveaway.

    abfantom (at) yahoo (dot) com

  • AmandaK said:  

    This has been on my wishlist for as long as I can remember! I'd love to read it!

    orchestratenoise0726[at]yahoo[dot]com

  • Stephanie N said:  

    I love thrillers and would love to read another one of his books. Please enter me in your giveaway.

  • Anonymous said:  

    I love to read mystery/detective stories and this book sounds like it has it all.

  • Mommy Kennedy said:  

    This book would be great.

    Thanks!

  • Mommy Kennedy said:  

    I tweeted
    http://twitter.com/MommyKennedy/statuses/2271923897

  • Kathy Detweiler said:  

    I have been wanting to read this, please enter me to win!

  • Kathy Detweiler said:  

    Subscribed by email
    kathydetweiler@gmail.com

  • Kathy Detweiler said:  

    Following you on twitter and tweeted about he giveaway
    https://twitter.com/kdet62

  • silverneon2000 said:  

    This sounds like an iteresting read. Thank you for the giveaway.
    silverneon2000 at yahoo dot com

  • tatertot374 said:  

    I would love to win.
    Thank you for the chance
    tatertot374@sbcglobal.net

  • Fokxxy said:  

    I would like to win this book! Thankx for the chance.

    ssummmer(at)gmail(dot)com

  • Fokxxy said:  

    I follow.
    ssummmer(at)gmail(dot)com

  • Annie1 said:  

    I would love to win this for my father to read!


    Thanks


    nancyrobster@gmail.com

  • Annie1 said:  

    Email subscriber



    Thanks




    nancyrobster@gmail.com

  • Annie1 said:  

    I follow




    Thanks




    nancyrobster@gmail.com

  • Annie1 said:  

    Tweeted


    and follow you on Twitter
    (greeeneyedwhwom)


    http://twitter.com/greeeneyedwhwom/status/2274289988


    Thanks

    nancyrobster@gmail.com

  • binabug said:  

    http://twitter.com/PANASYNCOLTEN/status/2274357754

  • Anonymous said:  

    I would like to win this. I love his books!

  • nfmgirl said:  

    I'd love a chance to win this book. Please count me in. Thank you.

    nfmgirl AT gmail DOT com

  • clc408 said:  

    I'm a Pelecanos fan. This would be going to the beach with me. Thanks for the chance!

  • Leona P said:  

    I would like this book

  • D Q said:  

    I would love to win this book.

  • Amanda S. said:  

    I'd love to win the book!

    amandasandico at yahoo dot com

  • Karen B said:  

    Great author - I'd really like to win this book!

  • Anonymous said:  

    I'd love to read this book......George Pelacanos writes excellent suspense novels and I am a big fan,,,,

  • Legally Pink and Green said:  

    I would love to read this book!!! Sounds awesome.

  • Legally Pink and Green said:  

    I posted your button on my blogroll.

  • nfmgirl said:  

    I'd love this book! Please count me in. Thank you!

    nfmgirl AT gmail DOT com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I would really like to read ths book. It sounds very interesting.

    Thanks for the giveaway.

  • oceanrena said:  

    this book looks interesting, i would love to read it

  • throuthehaze said:  

    follow in google reader

  • Michele P. said:  

    I need some summer reading, and this looks like a suspenseful read!

    micaela6955 at msn dot com

  • Michele P. said:  

    blog follower

    micaela6955 at msn dot com

  • Sylvia said:  

    This looks like a good read
    sylviawhit@gmail.com

  • Jessilyn82 said:  

    I follow on Twitter and left a tweet http://twitter.com/Jessilyn82/status/2306782311

  • Jessilyn82 said:  

    I would love to win, thank you!

  • Deborah Wellenstein said:  

    I would like this book. Thank you for the giveaway!

  • Alicia said:  

    Would love to read this.

    Thanks for the giveaway >^..^<

  • Gloria's Bits and Pieces said:  

    I have heard this was good and would like to win it!

    kngmckellar@hotmail.com

  • Gloria's Bits and Pieces said:  

    I am already subscribed via email.


    kngmckellar@hotmail.com

  • danosor said:  

    I need a good book to read at the beach and this looks like the one.

  • Carol EL said:  

    I enjoy reading George Pelecanos and would love to win this book. jelly15301@gmail.com

  • Carol EL said:  

    Yahoo reader subscriber. jelly15301@gmail.com

  • Carol EL said:  

    Blog follower. jelly15301@gmail.com

  • sweetsue said:  

    I would very much like to read this book.
    smchester at gmail dot com

  • sweetsue said:  

    I follow your blog.
    smchester at gmail dot com

  • Lady Roxi said:  

    Love to have this.

    Thanks,

    darkfyre1(at)gmail(dot)com

  • mrsshukra said:  

    I want this book!

    delilah0180(at)yahoo(dot)com

  • mrsshukra said:  

    I subscribe via google reader!

  • Sir Thrift-A-Lot said:  

    I'd like the book!

    jchaborek[at]hotmail[dot]com

  • Sir Thrift-A-Lot said:  

    Subscriber via email.

    jchaborek[at]hotmail[dot]com

  • nightowl said:  

    I'd love to win this book.

  • Anonymous said:  

    I would like to read this, I've heard good things! Thanks for the giveaway!

    luckymegs1981 AT yahoo DOT com

  • Tammy said:  

    I love a great thriller

  • turboterp said:  

    I've read intriguing reviews of this book and would love to read it! Thanks!

  • ChristyJan said:  

    This sounds like a great summer thrill read.

    Please enter me.

    hawkes(at)citlink.net

  • ChristyJan said:  

    I subscribe.

    hawkes(at)citlink.net

  • Andria said:  

    I would love a chance to win. Thank you.

  • Andria said:  

    I'm an email subscriber

  • Rita M said:  

    This book sounds great... thanks so much for the giveaway!

  • Glenn said:  

    I would love a copy of this book - looks like a decent read. Thanks for the giveaway.

    glenn_pessano AT yahoo DOT com

  • Gabriel S-J. said:  

    Great ead, great contest

  • Marjorie/cenya2 said:  

    I would love to win this book, I am
    subscriber, and would like to thank
    you for this awesome giveaway.

  • Daniel M said:  

    I would like this book, looks like a good one! - regnod(at)yahoo(d0t)com

  • *~Dani~* said:  

    Would love to win this book!

  • Sheila R said:  

    I would love this book..
    ilovebabynoah707@yahoo.com

  • Sheila R said:  

    I subscribe via email.
    ilovebabynoah707@yahoo.com

  • DEBIJOT said:  

    I would like to read this book.

  • Anonymous said:  

    I would love the chance to win, thanks.
    erma.hurtt@sbcglobal.net

  • ky2here said:  

    I would like this book.

  • Candie L said:  

    I have read all of my thrillers right now. I need a new good book. Thank you

    candieluster(at)gmail(dot)com

  • Candie L said:  

    I am a subscriber. Thanks

    candieluster(at)gmail(dot)com

  • Candie L said:  

    I am a follower. THanks

    candieluster(at)gmail(dot)com

  • Melanie Montgomery said:  

    I would LOVE this book.
    Ive heard alot of great things about it.



    clarkmurdock@yahoo.com

  • tina reynolds said:  

    i would really like to read this book thanks eaglesforjack@gmail.com

  • tina reynolds said:  

    i follow thanks eaglesforjack@gmail.com

  • tina reynolds said:  

    i subscribe thanks eaglesforjack@gmail.com

  • susan1215 said:  

    Looks like a good book

  • Anonymous said:  

    I would love to win this book, it sounds intriguing, and I am a total book addict. Thanks!
    pjgirl74 at aol dot com

  • Renee G said:  

    I would love to read this.

    rsgrandinetti(at)yahoo(dot)com

  • Christina said:  

    Christina - xristya@rock.com - I'd love to win this book! I read The Way Home by the same author and really liked it!

  • patrick moran said:  

    this looks like the best summer read out there and i love the author
    ppoverboard@aol.com

  • KayeDean said:  

    wanting to read George Pelecanos for a while now. Would love to read this book!

  • KayeDean said:  

    I follow your blog!

  • KayeDean said:  

    I follow you on Twitter (SandyM204) and I tweeted!
    http://twitter.com/SandyM204/status/2468317402

  • ladycat713 said:  

    I would love to read this book.

    ladycat713@yahoo.com

  • demmi said:  

    I would like to win this book con5459(at)gmail(dot)com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I would like this book. garettsambo@aol.com

  • AICORP said:  

    This looks like this would be a good book.

  • Leslie said:  

    Sounds like a great read.

  • Marianna said:  

    I'd love to read this book!

  • purplepassion126 said:  

    I would love to read this book--thanks!

  • purplepassion126 said:  

    Subscribed via google reader

  • NesieBird said:  

    This sounds great. Thank you!

    kneecree at gmail dot com

  • Betty C said:  

    So far I've only read one book by George Pelecanos but I really enjoyed it. I'd love to have this one also.

  • Donna M. Clark said:  

    I subscribe via google reader.
    litefoot873 (@) hotmail.com

  • Donna M. Clark said:  

    I follow your blog publicly.
    litefoot873 (@) hotmail.com

  • Kathy P said:  

    Thanks for the GREAT giveaway
    please count me in :)

  • Kathy P said:  

    following your blog as klp1965
    kathy pease

  • Kathy P said:  

    http://twitter.com/klp1965/status/2471814501

  • Marjorie/cenya2 said:  

    I subscribe to your site and I would love to win this book.
    Thanks you for an awesome giveaway.

  • Maja said:  

    i love thrillers, i want this book.

  • Anonymous said:  

    This looks like it would be very interesting to read

  • Anonymous said:  

    subscribe via email

  • Anonymous said:  

    follow on twitter and tweeted

    http://twitter.com/Ardy22/status/2475675809

  • Anonymous said:  

    on my blog list

  • Anonymous said:  

    We need real detective work. I hope this book inspires crime solving.

  • dessie10 said:  

    After that review I really would like to read this book

  • lilyk said:  

    I would like this book. Thanks for the great contest!

  • lilyk said:  

    I subscribed by email.

  • Kelly g said:  

    I would like to win this

  • 07violet said:  

    I'd love to have this

    alterna7 at hotmail dot com

  • 07violet said:  

    following

    alterna7 at hotmail dot com

  • 07violet said:  

    subscribed

    alterna7 at hotmail dot com

  • Kathy said:  

    I would like to win this book.

  • Helen said:  

    I'd love this book, sounds like a great read!

  • Anonymous said:  

    I would adore this book!

    theyyyguy@yahoo.com

  • Leave your response!