, , , ,

DVD Review & Giveaway: The Good, The Bad and The Deadly - Knowing the Poisonous Mushrooms

Friday, June 19, 2009 Leave a Comment

What a fun title for an educational dvd. Can you really say that you do not find the words of "mushroom" "good" "bad" and "deadly" together intriguing? When I was given the opportunity to review this dvd it was at a great time since we are currently taking biology in our homeschool science class and this obviously fit right into the Kingdom of Fungi which we are studying. So during our science class the other day we popped this in to our dvd player and sat back to watch. Now keep in mind that this is an educational informational dvd and so it can be little overwhelming with all the terms and names given out , but it proved to be a rewarding hour for both Amber and myself.

Taylor Lockwood the man behind this dvd is an internationally acclaimed nature photographer specializing in beautiful and exotic mushrooms and other fungi from around the world. This his newest dvd The Good, the Bad and the Deadly, teaches the basics about toxic mushrooms and their edible look-alikes. If you think mushrooms are dark, slimy and dirty your mind is about to be changed...

Lockwood educates in a very fun style and the photos and video that are shown on the dvd are beautiful. Amber thought she was going to be bored when she watched this but was surprised at how well Lockwood kept her attention. The only thing she said was tough to watch about it was the large Latin classification names of the mushrooms that Lockwood says as if they were common table speak. ☺ Truly, I was amazed at not just the huge variety of mushrooms out there, but by how many absolutely colorful, beautiful and interesting kinds there are too. It is really an interesting educational dvd, and well worth spending an hour watching.

The basis of the dvd is to educate anyone and everyone on the differences of "good", "bad" and "deadly" mushrooms. So you're saying "Well I'm not planning on picking mushrooms anytime soon", and perhaps not. But do you have a yard? Children? Pets? If you said yes to any of those it might bode you well to watch this. This is also a great supplement to a homeschool science class.

Lockwood can help you identify whether or not those mushrooms in your yard are a hazard to your family or pets. Or who knows he just might make a mushroom hunter out of you! ☺



And to show you just how much I learned the Smurf's homes (you know the red capped mushrooms with the white spots?) Bad mushrooms! ☺

Taylor Lockwood is sponsoring a giveaway for one of my blog readers to get their own copy of The Good, the Bad and the Deadly for their very own.

To enter visit Taylor's shop Kingdom of Fungi and leave a comment telling me what other product beside the review dvd interests you.

For extra entries (the above must be completed first): Leave a comment for each you complete

1. Leave a comment telling me whether you are a mushroom hunter or not.
2. Subscribe to my feed via e-mail or reader.
3. Follow my blog publicly
4. Follow me on twitter and tweet about this giveaway.
5. Blog about this giveaway and link both to my site and to Kingdom of Fungi.
6. Add me to your blog roll
7. Add my button to your site

This contest will end on June 26th 2009 at 11:59 pm cst, open to U.S. residents ages 13+.

90 comments »

  • mar said:  

    I like the Puffballs, Kids Choice Placemats. These are so cool!

  • Anonymous said:  

    chasing the rain

    brandon_ralston@hotmail.com

  • MOMFOREVERANDEVER said:  

    The Mushroom Identification Trilogy DVD

  • Amber said:  

    I think that the Mushroom Identification DVD Trilogy looks very interested!
    Thank you for the giveaway :)
    hurdler4eva(at)gmail(dot)com

  • Amber said:  

    I am not a mushroom hunter as of yet - but I just may start if I win!
    Thank you for the giveaway :)
    hurdler4eva(at)gmail(dot)com

  • Carol EL said:  

    The Mushroom Identification Trilogy DVD is my choice.

  • Carol EL said:  

    No,I'm not a mushroom hunter,yet!

  • Carol EL said:  

    Yahoo reader subscriber.

  • annies home said:  

    I would be most interested in teh mushroom identificatino trilogy because while my mother in law and parents knew what to look for I do not and would really love to know how

    shopannies@Yahoo.com

  • annies home said:  

    when I was a kid and would love to be again

  • annies home said:  

    subscriber
    shopannies@Yahoo.com

  • Christine said:  

    I would love to get the The Wild, the Weird, and the Wonderful Poster! That would go perfect in our home.

  • Christine said:  

    I'm not a mushroom hunter but my fiance is. If he has taught me anything it's that you have to be VERY careful. Safe & Deadly mushrooms commonly grow right next to each other!

  • Christine said:  

    I subscribe via reader.

  • Christine said:  

    I follow your blog with Blogger.

  • Christine said:  

    I tweeted and follow on Twitter.

    https://twitter.com/nomorecages87/status/2255564588

  • Christine said:  

    I blogged about this giveaway.

    http://nomorecages.blogspot.com/2009/06/good-bad-and-deadly-dvd-giveaway.html

  • john ferris said:  

    Wild Weird Wonderful poster.
    john ferris
    guapo1317@live.com

  • oceanrena said:  

    i like the The Mushroom Identification Trilogy DVD

  • tatertot374 said:  

    I would love to win. I really liked the Ramaria Reef Poster.
    Thank you for the chance
    tatertot374@sbcglobal.net

  • valerie2350 said:  

    love the kids choice place mats

  • idahomom said:  

    Mushroom Identification Trilogy DVD

  • Sarah said:  

    Chasing the Rain.

    Sarah
    quivermom.blogspot.com
    homeschoolblogger.com/OhioSarah

  • Sarah said:  

    we are not hunters but I have often thought about starting, it would be fun.

    Sarah
    quivermom.blogspot.com
    homeschoolblogger.com/OhioSarah
    SeekingHim @ gmail dot com

  • Sarah said:  

    I subscribed in both a reader and email.

    Sarah
    quivermom.blogspot.com
    homeschoolblogger.com/OhioSarah
    SeekingHim @ gmail dot com

  • Sarah said:  

    I am following publicly.

    Sarah
    quivermom.blogspot.com
    homeschoolblogger.com/OhioSarah
    SeekingHim @ gmail dot com

  • Sarah said:  

    following you on twitter and just twitted.

    sarah
    quivermom.blogspot.com
    homeschoolblogger.com/OhioSarah
    SeekingHim @ gmail dot com

  • Sarah said:  

    Your button is on my blog.

    Sarah
    quivermom.blogspot.com
    homeschoolblogger.com/OhioSarah
    seekinghim @ gmail dot com

  • Amy said:  

    My DH and his grandma are obsessive mushroom hunters... I've only been a couple of times. I wouldn't have any clue which ones are good and which are bad!

  • Unknown said:  

    I have not hunted mushrooms before.

  • Jessilyn82 said:  

    The Mushroom Identification Trilogy DVD is my pick, it looks really interesting!

  • Jessilyn82 said:  

    I'm not a mushroom hunter yet, but I'd love to start

  • Gabriel S-J. said:  

    I like the Wild Weird Wonderful poster.

  • juau4 said:  

    The Mushroom Identification Trilogy is Most interesting! We hunt morel mushrooms at my Dad's, it's been a very good year!

  • ky2here said:  

    Let's go with the The Wild, the Weird, and the Wonderful Poster!

  • Colette S said:  

    I like the Mushroom Identification Trilogy DVD.

  • Michael said:  

    I really enjoy mushrooms but have refrained from becoming a mushroom 'hunter' for the exact reasons this DVD was created - telling the good, the bad and the deadly apart.

    mcj4tlj@comcast.net

  • Nickolay said:  

    I am not a mushroom hunter, but I have always wanted to be

    jason(at)allworldautomotive(dot)com

  • Smooshy said:  

    i like the kids choice placemats!

  • Anonymous said:  

    I liked the looks of TREASURES from the KINGDOM of FUNGI ... I hsd no idea there was so many types and no, I'm not a mushroom hunter yet

  • Anonymous said:  

    I think that the Mushroom Identification DVD Trilogy looks good.
    erma.hurtt@sbcglobal.net

  • Anonymous said:  

    The Wild, The Weird and The Wonderful poster

    theyyyguy@yahoo.com

  • Anonymous said:  

    i really like the wild, weird and wonderful poster.!

    allegro966@yahoo.com

  • lace said:  

    This would be a fascinating DVD for my father. He loves stuff like this.

    The Wild, the Weird, and the Wonderful Poster
    is pretty cool looking

  • theolotto said:  

    I like The Wild, The Weird and The Wonderful poster.

  • chromiumman said:  

    the Mushroom Identification Trilogy DVD

  • tina reynolds said:  

    i would love to win this for my hubby thanks for the chance i also liked the TREASURES from the KINGDOM of FUNGI
    Book thanks eaglesforjack@gmail.com

  • tina reynolds said:  

    my husband is an avid hiker and has tried mushroom hunting once or twice. I think he would go more if he knew more thanks eaglesforjack@gmail.com

  • tina reynolds said:  

    i subscribe by email thanks eaglesforjack@gmail.com

  • tina reynolds said:  

    i follow your blog thanks eaglesforjack@gmail.com

  • Kathy P said:  

    i love the Ramaria Reef Poster its so pretty :)

  • Kathy P said:  

    no not a hunter but i have some weird one growning on stumps in my backyard

  • iggysaysno said:  

    Mushroom Identification Trilogy DVD

  • Kathy P said:  

    following your blog as klp1965
    kathy pease

  • Kathy P said:  

    https://twitter.com/klp1965/status/2351265600

  • Anonymous said:  

    TREASURES from the KINGDOM of FUNGI
    Book looks like it has beautiful pictures!
    renee
    yeloechikee at hotmail dot com

  • Anonymous said:  

    'm not a mushroom hunter, but I still think mushrooms are interesting!
    renee
    yeloechikee at hotmail dot com

  • yadgirl said:  

    I like the Chasing the Rain book.

  • ZESTYWONDERLAND said:  

    I would love to have TayIor's new book
    CHASING THE RAIN & one of those lovely colorful mushroom mouse pads!

    zestywonderland@gmail.com

  • ZESTYWONDERLAND said:  

    I love to pick fresh mushrooms & make yummy dishes with them!

  • ZESTYWONDERLAND said:  

    I follow on blogger!

    zestywonderland@gmail.com

  • Marinalane said:  

    I am not a Mushroom hunter, yet. Thanks for the giveaway! lanemarinab@aol.com

  • ZESTYWONDERLAND said:  

    I subscribe to both emails & in reader!

    zestywonderland@gmail.com

  • ZESTYWONDERLAND said:  

    you're listed on by blogroll!
    zestywonderland@gmail.com

  • Marinalane said:  

    I Subscribe via email! lanemarinab@aol.com

  • Marinalane said:  

    I Follow your blog publicly! (Marinalane)lanemarinab@aol.com

  • Marinalane said:  

    I Follow you on Twitter and Tweeted! (Marinalane) lanemarinab@aol.com

  • Anonymous said:  

    TREASURES FROM THE KINGDOM OF FUNGI looks kind of intersting

  • Anonymous said:  

    follow your blog

  • cman said:  

    TREASURES from the KINGDOM of FUNGI :)

  • Anonymous said:  

    follow on twitter and tweeted

  • Anonymous said:  

    on my blog roll list

    http://ardy22.blogspot.com/

  • Donna said:  

    CHASING THE RAIN BOOK sounds good.
    donna444444@yahoo.com

  • Donna said:  

    I don't hunt mushrooms yet.
    donna444444@yahoo.com

  • Donna said:  

    subscriber
    donna444444@yahoo.com

  • Donna said:  

    follower
    donna444444@yahoo.com

  • Donna said:  

    Put your button on my blog.
    donna444444@yahoo.com

  • Donna said:  

    Put your link on my blogroll.
    donna444444@yahoo.com

  • Laureen said:  

    The book 'Chasing the Rain' looks very interesting. Thanks!

    lmarston AT yahoo DOT com

  • Laureen said:  

    I am not a mushroom hunter simply because I've always been taught how dangerous mushrooms can be and since I'm not educated on mushrooms, I avoid all mushrooms outdoors. Thanks!

    lmarston AT yahoo DOT com

  • Anonymous said:  

    I would love to have the TREASURES from the KINGDOM of FUNGI Book. Thank you for the opportunity to participate in this giveaway!

  • Anonymous said:  

    I do not hunt mushrooms yet. I have been afraid to! My aunt used to hunt for all the mushrooms she cooked with. I was amazed that she never poisoned anyone. Thank you for the opportunity to win!

  • Laureen said:  

    subscribed via rss reader. Thanks!

    lmarston AT yahoo DOT com

  • Laureen said:  

    I follow you on Twitter and tweeted:

    http://twitter.com/MamandeEDS/statuses/2355270782

    lmarston AT yahoo DOT com

  • Rajee said:  

    I like the Puffballs, Kids Choice Placemats

  • Leave your response!