Stuff We Own and How it Affects Us
I have recently been on a mission to start going through Amber's closet to purge the unused toys. Now that she is 13 there is a lot of stuff that has been sitting for a while untouched and taking up valuable space.
It's something I thought of doing last year already but put it aside because every once in a blue moon she would take something out of her closet that had not seen the light of day for months and play with it.
What led me to really make an effort to do this was reading a book that was sent to me, Enough Already! Clearing Mental Clutter to Become the Best You by Peter Walsh. You know Peter the organizing guru, who used to host TLC's Clean Sweep. That show always got me in the mood to declutter and go through our stuff. I recently had the opportunity to review some of the products he has designed for office organization sold at Office Max. It really has kept my work space clean and productive in our home office. (Which incidentally also doubles as our family room since we spend more time in that space as a family than any other in our home!)
In any case back to the book. I have always loved the way Peter imparted realistic wisdom to people in regards to their stuff. Why are you holding on to this or that? What is the real reason behind it and what relationships are you hurting by not letting go? After all clutter has a direct affect on who is living amidst it.
In this book he touches on 6 aspects of our lives that get cluttered and hinder our personal well being because of mental clutter. Clutter that is in ourselves that hurts our relationships and our own sense of self. Relationships, Work, Family, Money, Health and Our Sense of Well Being.
Don't get me wrong he has some great advice in this book, but something is substantially missing. He makes it out to be that this can all be done on our own, some changes in mindset and attitude, tossing the clutter out of our minds and we're on our way to a healthier us, both mentally and physically. This book is listed as a "self-help" book, which really is a misnomer as when it comes to changes of the heart (which clearing mental clutter surely is), you can't do it by yourself.
Our Creator God is the only one who can make a lasting change from inside out to make us healthier in our mental state in order to have effective relationships with whomever we're interacting with. Whether it be our own self-esteem, our children, spouse or co-workers. The mental clutter can only stay purged through daily time with Christ spent reading the Bible and in prayer.
So while I will defer to Peter when wanting to clear the "stuff" clutter out of my home, I'll stick to the Bible for advice when organizing my life.
Now off to get that closet cleaned out.
Please read **About Reviews at the bottom of the page.



























I am so with you on this. I love to read organizing and balancing your life kind of books, but lately I check to see if they are written from a Christian perspective. Not that a non-christian can't impart great knowledge on the subject. Its just that I don't want to read some junk about how we need to get in touch with some inner part of ourselves without mention of where our true power comes from.