Organizing with Peter Walsh and [IN]PLACE
When I was asked a couple of weeks ago to participate in a webcast hosted by Office Max and Peter Walsh discussing organizing your office space, I was giddy.
Not just because I could listen to the lilting accent of Peter Walsh for 40 minutes (I would have listened much longer....), but also because I needed real help in trying to organize our homeschool paperwork.
In preparation for the webcast, Office Max generously sent me the [IN]PLACE Systems by Peter Walsh as well as some other goodies. When I got the package, I was eager to start organizing but wasn't quite sure what to do with it all.
I am generally an organized person. But this year, the homeschooling papers just seemed to get out of control. After watching the webcast I felt better prepared to put the [IN]PLACE products to work for me.
Before I tell you about the products in this system I'd like to share with you something Peter said about organizing.
The first step in organizing has nothing to do with products.
First you need to: Know what you want from your space.
Second: Once you know what you want from it, then you need to zone it. What are you doing where? Each part of the room has a function, and needs to be organized accordingly.
Third: Cut down on stuff. Purge what needs to go.
Fourth: Then look at things that you will need to implement an organizational method that you'll be able to maintain.
One of the best things about the [IN]PLACE products, is that it is a functional system. Since all of the pieces work together, you don't have a hodgepodge of paraphernalia that you're not sure how to use with each other. Another plus to this system is that it can be expanded easily depending on your needs.
An important thing to me when I purchase products is that they are durable. There's nothing worse than forking out cash for something, and then having to go buy another product because it just didn't stand up to everyday use.
The file folders and document holders from the [IN]PLACE system are extremely durable and have a nifty feature to them. Using the Label Pen that is part of the system you can write on them, then use the "special ink" portion of the pen to erase it, and scrub it out with the eraser and voila, it is clean for another use!
The above pictures are of the Document Envelope that is provided in the kit. I'm currently using it to store all of Genius' Social Studies work, since for some reason I never gave her a notebook for her assignments in that subject, and it's all on loose paper. Hooray for [IN]PLACE for saving me from drowning in papers about world events!
The files are pretty neat too. They have a cut out portion where you can use a clip to hold them together, ensuring none of your papers will fall out. It's hard to tell from the photo, but there is a bunch of paper in the file and I'm holding it upside down, and nothing is falling out.
The re-usability function of them is huge too. Not only will they stand up to everyday use and you can use the label marker on them, you can also use Post-It Notes created to separate them like regular file folders. No more worrying on whether you have a third of fourth tabbed folder in a set. You can position the Super Sticky Post-it Notes anywhere on the file folder and fit it into your filing system. When that file is no longer necessary, throw away the Post-It and use it again for something else.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel of our organizational chaos in our homeschool. I know these products will keep the papers from ending up on every flat surface of our home.
All of the products I've discussed plus more are available at Office Max beginning this week, so if organizing your homeschool paperwork, home office, business office or any other type of paperwork is on your spring cleaning to do list, check out their selection. Peter's Tip Of The Day is a pretty useful tool too, go on over and read what he says!



























Thanks Tammy. What a great post about Peter Walsh's new product line. You included some great photos, and I love your four steps for getting organized! It's something we should all try to do. Thanks again!
wow cool blog
Chatty Kathy
I love that pen! Great tips and products.
I can't wait to see more from this line!