Irreplaceable - Book Review
When Isabel tells her husband Alex she is going to be an organ donor, and he signs a companion card whose purpose was to state that he understood what Isabel wanted to do and would inform the appropriate authorities if the circumstances arose, he has no idea what changes in his life will come because of it. Not only his, but others as well.
Isabel goes out for a bike ride, and doesn't come home. Her heart gets donated to a young mother in Chicago. This woman knows of no other way to show her gratitude, except by trying to get in contact with Alex. Which he has no interest in.
The man, who is responsible for the accident, is in his own bizarre way atoning for it.
This novel explores the dynamic relationships that evolve because of a heart.
This is Stephen Lovely's debut novel, and I suspect we'll see many more from him.
I personally was amazed at the understanding the author had for the heart recipient. The woman's emotions, the way she deals with them, and interacts with those around her, were incredibly believable.
I was also surprised at the ability with which he incorporated humor into the story. The subject itself is one that does not invoke images of laughter, yet his ability to weave the light heartedness in with the sorrowful was seamless.
If you're looking to read something from a new author, I would suggest this book. There is some foul language as well as a couple of bedroom scenes, however, in all honesty because the story is compelling, it is easily overlooked if you generally don't read books with that type of content.
Irreplaceable is available at Amazon.com for $16.49.
This review was part of a Parent Reviewers Blog Tour.



























I think you need to make a little change in your review - deciding to become an organ donor is a personal choice, no one else has to agree to it - you definitely don't have to get your spouse to sign anything agreeing to your decision. I am an organ donor and I lost a daughter and donated her organs - I really related to and enjoyed this book.