Monday Musings

Monday, April 21, 2008 Leave a Comment

Well I have never done one of these before, but I was taking part in the Bloggy Giveaway, and stumbled across The Campbell Corner where TCC encouraged us bloggers to join this Musing, and not just enter her contest. (I hope you can appreciate my humor TCC!)

Seriously, I started this blog to do just that, and then it sort of got off on a product review and giveaway run. While there is nothing wrong with either of those, I have sort of lost focus on what I started it for. So maybe I will get back on track with a post here and there about musing. I guess I can strive a least for Mondays! (Although it is Tuesday today, but I suppose I can be a day late right?)

I paused to think today on all what I had learned while attending my first ever homeschooling conference this past weekend. I and Hubby (I say it in that order because I will be doing 90% of the teacing), will be homeschooling Genius this fall, and while the original intent was because we felt the school system just wasn't meeting her academically where we felt she could be, after this weekend my whole view of it has changed.

We are Christians and have already purchased curriculum with a Christian Worldview, but the impact that the speakers had on me, (Kevin Swanson, Tim Echols and Michael Farris), about the importance of saturating Genius with God was convicting. More important than the idea of academics was educating her with the end goal of character.

Michael Farris most importantly spoke on the profound effect the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child will have on every parent in the country. Please if you have not already done so, visit Parental Rights.org and see the important work this organization is doing to keep the decisions we make as parents for our children utmost above what any state or federal institution can rule.

If you have any comments or questions on my musing, please comment!

2 comments »

  • Mrs. C said:  

    Tammy...I'm so glad you joined in!

    My high school's motto was actually "Character Before Career". Academics were a high priority but I appreciated the focus that was placed on character as well. As I look forward to my 20th reunion this fall I appreciate the many lessons I learned - both in and out of the classroom.

  • Qtpies7 said:  

    We homeschooled for years and I am so glad I did, even thought I hated doing it. My kids are so much stronger in the Lord than I am. My daughter somehow even came out more mature than I am and she is only 16! I love what God has done through such an imperfect set of parents.

  • Leave your response!